[Peace-discuss] getting malled in america

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Fri Mar 7 14:46:54 CST 2003

<oops - re-sending with subject line added - pressed the 'send' button too
soon. apologies for list clutter - jb>

I originally pulled this material together for the Carl campaign last
spring, when we were in the throes of petitioning and needed to figure out
where we could do so unhindered. (Quite a few signatures did in fact get
gathered in grocery store parking lots, bars, etc., but gatherers either
got management's permission beforehand or were poised to move on if
challenged.) I don't think anyone tried it at Marketplace. At any rate,
here is the most relevant info this non-lawyer could cobble together.

It's a sorry fact of US life that a great many of our congregating spaces
have been privatized. And just like when other essential public services
get swallowed up by corporations, constitutional guarantees of assembly,
speech, etc. get trounced when the spot you're standing on is under deed.

jb