[Peace-discuss] RE: WDWS clips and beyond

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 7 17:10:22 CST 2003

Brant-

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.  I appreciate the
time you took to answer (I know you must be very
busy)and the candid tone you took in your answer.  I
want to apologize for taking so long to get back to
you.  And I apologize if I unfairly characterized the
editing of the Prospect interviews.  It is true that
there were a few comments describing Saddam Hussein as
a "brutal dictator" left in.  I do not, however, feel
that the exerpts that aired were representative of our

I'm sure that you will agree with this, as you
yourself commented several times on the program that
some of the answers demonstrated some thought, or
words to that effect, but for some reason you chose to
air the comments you felt put our efforts in the worst
light - judging by your ridicule of those comments.
I'm not sure if you mean to say that, because Newsweek
wrote something pretty lame, you thought you'd follow
suit?

I admit that I am not a regular listener to your show,
and perhaps I should be.  I don't mean to generalize
at all about its content or your character, because
I'm not familiar with the show and have never met you.
 I only mean to address this particular incident.  I
appreciate that you want to ask tough and interesting
questions, too.  Good luck finding any pro-war
demonstrators to ask tough questions of, by the way,
but I take you at your word that you would ask them.

Actually, I think, for us, "What about Saddam's
victims?" or, "What should be done about Iraq, since
12 years of bombing and sanctions have only
strengthened Saddam Hussein's hold on power?"  would
have been more interesting than questions that portray
international issues as personal contests between the
rulers of the countries involved.

And, frankly, if you want my opinion, I don't find
your proposed questions for the pro-war folks
(demonstrators or not) that tough or interesting -
with the possible exception of the one about
al-Qaeda's ties to Saudi Arabia.

I'd suggest asking something like, "Pre-emptive
attacks are illegal under international law, so why do
you think it's okay for the US to violate the law in
order to punish another country for violating it?"  Or
you might make one of your questions more specific,
like, "US allies Turkey and Israel have both violated
more UN resolutions than Iraq - should we bomb them
first?"  Or, when asking whether the US should be
subject to the UN (hypotheticallY?), you might mention
some instances of US violaing international law - for
example, when the World Court found the US guilty of
war crimes against Nicaragua and ordered the US to pay
reparations (a decision the US dismissed with
contempt).

Or, "What about the CIA's report to Congress that a US
attack on Iraq would likely increase the threat of
terrorist attacks against the US, is that what we
want?  More terrorism?"   Or, "Are you concerned about
Saddam's victims in Iraq, and are you concerned that a
US-led attack will likely kill thousands of those same
people - when bombs hit them, or when bombs hit water
and sewage treatment facilities and spread disease
among mostly children, as in the First Gulf War?"

Or, "What about the Kurds in Northern Iraq?  The US
had no problem when Saddam gassed them in the 1980's.
Then the US encouraged them to rebel in 1990, and let
Saddam slaughter them after the war.  Now they want
independence, and our Turkish allies want to occupy
their land to prevent that.  What should we do?"

Anyway, you're probably sick to death of my
suggestions by now.  Thanks for taking the time to
respond to me and to read what I wrote back.  I
appreciate the openness of your show, even if I
disagree with much of what you say.

Ricky

P.S. By the way, "liberals and conservatives" aren't
all that's out there.