[Peace-discuss] Professor on leave over anti-war letters

Jen Roth jen at shout.net
Wed Mar 12 19:34:29 CST 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Ken Urban wrote:

> --------------------
> Professor on leave over anti-war letters
> --------------------
>
> Items compiled from Tribune news services
>
> March 12, 2003
>
> LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA -- A college professor who gave students extra
> credit for writing anti-war letters to President Bush has been placed on
> administrative leave, the school's president said Tuesday.
>
> Adjunct speech professor Rosalyn Kahn told students they would receive
> no extra credit if their letters supported a war against Iraq, said
> Louis Zellers, president of Citrus College, a two-year community college
> in suburban Glendora.
>
> Zellers said he was sending a letter of apology to the White House.
>
> Kahn was placed on administrative leave with pay starting this week
> pending a review, Zellers said.

I have to agree that what this guy did was wrong.  I don't know if it's
the kind of offense for which one should be placed on leave, and this
business of apologizing to the White House is BS.  But it's not right to
essentially give extra credit for having opinions that match the
instructor's.

--
Jen Roth
jen at shout.net