[Peace-discuss] Friday flyer first draft (no attachments)

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 12 23:33:23 CST 2003

The responses I received regarding content for Friday's flyer were strongly
in support of advertising upcoming anti-war activities for the benefit of
existing anti-war folks (thanks to Ricky, Linda, Lisa, Carol and John Fettig
for their input). John suggested including more anti-war arguments, but also
expressed strong support for getting the word out on what anti-war people
can do in the near future.

Below is the raw text of my first stab at the flyer for Friday. I initially
tried to also attach the original Microsoft Word document and an Adobe
Acrobat (PDF) rendering so you could get a much better idea of what it looks
like, but apparently our mailing list server software is configured to
reject messages containing file attachments bigger than a fairly small
threshold. I'll try to post something on our web site, but in the meantime,
I'm limited to just showing you the raw text below.  I decided to compose
this first draft for half-sheet handbills. I've found that, for whatever
reason, people seem noticeably more receptive to grabbing a smaller
half-sheet handbill than a full sheet of paper. It also cuts the cost in
half =8-)

If we want to stuff in more information, we might consider printing
something on the back of these, but I'm pretty sure that would double the
cost. I was thinking of printing up something like 5000 copies (meaning 2500
cut sheets). At 5 cents a sheet, that would be $125, more if we wanted to
pick a color other than white (perhaps a peaceful sky-blue =8-). I was
thinking we would distribute the vast majority of them on Friday, but then
also at P4P and the Sunday evening vigil at Carle park.

I hope to coax PRC and SPA folks to help out with the Friday leafleting.

Please respond with feedback/suggestions/corrections.

BTW, I did consult with Brooke Anderson of PRC on the wording in the flyer
for their carpooling coordination efforts for the Chicago Rally. She's aware
of the flyer event (and hopefully mentioned it in the PRC meeting today).

Thanks

WAR IS COMING! (in HUGE eye-grabbing type)

ACT NOW! (in even BIGGER type)

March 15, 2003 (and all other Saturdays) - 2:00 to 4:00 PM
Prospect Ave. just north of I-74, Champaign
Demonstrate at the weekly nonviolent "Prospect for Peace" event, sponsored
by AWARE (Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort). Bring your own sign or choose from
the many on-hand. PARKING NOTE: Don't park at the nearby "Tires Plus" store
or they will tow your car.

March 16, 2003 - 2:00 PM
Daley Plaza, Washington between Clark and Dearborn, Chicago
Join top Midwest Labor, Community, & Faith Leaders for the largest Midwest
Peace Rally ever! See www.peacechicago.org for more information. Local
carpool information is being coordinated by Champaign's PRC (Progressive
Resource/Action Cooperative) - contact Brooke at (217) 493-2637 or
brooke at shout.net

March 16, 2003 - 7:00 PM
Carle Park, Douglas Ave. and Iowa St., Urbana
Join the Global Candlelight Vigil for Peace called for by Archbishop Desmond
Tutu, the "Win Without War" coalition and moveon.org. This is a coordinated
succession of thousands of vigils worldwide, each held at 7 PM in every time
zone. Bring candles and a lighter if you can. For more info, see
http://globalvigil.org .

In the event of War on Iraq.

The day war begins (day after if it begins in the evening) - 5-9 PM
Westside Park, University and State St.
Come to a Community Peace Vigil sponsored by AWARE (Anti-War Anti-Racism
Effort), UI Student Peace Action, Teachers for Peace, and the PRC
(Progressive Resource/Action Cooperative). Bring candles and a lighter if
you can. Call Jeff at 384-0945 for more information.

The day after war begins - 12 noon
South end of University of Illinois Quad
Attend the Emergency Response Rally to Oppose Bush's War in Iraq. Organized
by PRC (Progressive Resource/Action Cooperative) with sponsorship from
numerous local organizations. For more information, see
http://www.prairienet.org/prc/events.html .

This handbill sponsored by AWARE (Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort) - last
revised 3/12/03 by REC