[Peace-discuss] Fwd:Five minutes to midnight

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Fri Mar 14 08:18:41 CST 2003

Dear Jenifer M. Cartwright,

At this point we appear to be days, if not hours, away from an unjust and murderous war -- a war that is overwhelming opposed by the people of the world. The Not In Our Name statement of conscience is unique in that it exposes and repudiates the whole political program behind this war.

On Thursday, March 13, the NION statement appears as a full-page ad in Variety, the daily newspaper of the entertainment industry. The ad features a number of important new signers: F. Murray Abraham, Kevin Bacon, Deepak Chopra, Toni Morrison, Walter Mosley, and Kyra Sedgwick. Future ads are planned for the major regional papers in Atlanta and Houston. Your continuing support makes this possible. Please visit our web site at www.nion.us, and send your contributions to Not In Our Name, 158 Church St, PMB9, New York, NY 10007.

Don't miss the brand new Not In Our Name anti-war advertisement on MTV and BET!!  The NION Project collaborated with filmmaker Barbara Kopple to produce a 30-second ad that will start airing on MTV and BET on Thursday, March 13th on Total Request Live, Direct Effect and 106 & Park. The ad will air in New York City and Los Angeles to start, and as we get more donations we'll buy ad time in other cities around the country.

On Saturday, March 15, there will be a national demonstration at the White House against any war on Iraq, with parallel actions in Los Angeles and San Francisco. This action has been endorsed by all the major antiwar organizations. For more information on go to www.internationalanswer.org/campaigns/m15/index.html.

Poet/performer Saul Williams is releasing new songs and remixes on a CD entitled "Not In My Name" at the end of the month. Songs entitled:  "September 12th", "Bloodletting" and the "Not In Our Name Pledge of Resistance." Saul Williams: "I am releasing these songs because music is perhaps our greatest means of political amassment, because the airwaves ... have conditioned us into ... a state of condoning unjust violence and militarism carried out in our name." To hear the songs, go to: www.artistsnetwork.org or www.notinournamemusic.com.

In the event that the worst happens, and the U.S. does launch its vicious "Shock and Awe" bombing of the people of Iraq, go immediately to www.notinourname.net for the latest information on resistance plans.