[Peace-discuss] Fwd:FW: ANWR Vote

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Wed Mar 19 06:16:46 CST 2003

Hello Everybody:

Sorry this isn't terribly individual, but, if you haven't already heard and written, there's a big vote coming up soon on the 2004 budget resolution, which has an Arctic Refuge drilling rider attached to it. The vote may come on Friday, according to the New York Times. The drillers have lined up 48 votes for it, and need only 50 to pass it. There are four swing-vote senators who need to hear from us, senators who are being lobbied heavily to provide the 49th and 50th votes. Please take 15 minutes to e-mail them, and pass this on to other folks on your e-mail list.

The swing votes are:

Mark Pryor, D-Ark
Blanche Lincoln, D-Ark
Norm Coleman, R-Mn
Gordon Smith, R-Or

It's easy to send them each a message via www.senate.gov <http://www.senate.gov> . Just type out your brief message to the first senator, copy it, send it, and proceed to the next on the list, changing only the senator's name in the greeting. To tickle your creative juices, here's the message my friend sent :

Dear Senator XXXXX:

I'm writing as a former resident of Alaska to ask that you oppose the attempt to drill for oil in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge coastal plain.

I have been there, and the area is a pristine wildlife treasure that should not be sacrificed for a miniscule contribution to the nation's energy needs. We cannot drill our way to self-sufficiency, and as I'm sure you've heard time and again, we can do far more for our energy picture by raising CAFE standards, making real, European-level investments in public transit, and speeding up the inevitable transition to a much larger renewable energy portfolio.

Please vote against opening the refuge.

Thank you,

D L

***
This message contains parts that can not be recognized or delivered to your device but has been saved on your webmail account.  It will be stored there for future access until your webmail account reaches a 5 Megabyte limit at which time it will be deleted.  If you have access to a computer and wish to view the complete message please visit https://webmail.earthlink.net and enter your MailStation e-mail address and password.