[Peace-discuss] Blix's comments on War to BBC

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Thu Mar 20 08:01:34 CST 2003

Blix criticises US 'impatience'
Former chief weapons inspector Hans Blix has expressed regret over US
"impatience" to go to war with Iraq - and suggested Washington had little
interest in peaceful disarmament from the outset.
"The resolution (on Iraqi disarmament) that was adopted last autumn was
extremely demanding and perhaps (the Americans) doubted that the Iraqis would
go along with it and you would have a clash from the beginning," Mr Blix told
the BBC's Today Programme shortly before US-led operations in Iraq began.

Mr Blix, who headed the United Nations Monitoring, Verification and
Inspection Commission (Unmovic), said he was very disappointed that
inspections were aborted.

I somewhat doubt that when (the Security Council) got the resolution last
November they really intended to give under three-and-a-half months for
inspections
Hans Blix
"We had made rapid start," he said. "We did not have any obstacles from the
Iraqi side in going anywhere. They gave us prompt access and we were in a
great many places all over Iraq."
The former chief inspector also pointed out that his teams had secured the
destruction of some of Iraq's al-Samoud missiles.

But the Americans "lost patience some time at the end of January or the
beginning of February," Mr Blix said.

He suggested that Washington was "doubtful from the beginning" about the
process.

"I somewhat doubt that when (the Security Council) got the resolution last
November they really intended to give under three-and-a-half months for
inspections," Mr Blix said.

Dubious tips

Mr Blix also criticised the information US and other intelligence services
passed on to Unmovic and the IAEA - the UN's nuclear watchdog agency.

He said few experts believed that aluminium tubes imported by Iraq were
designed for were designed for centrifuges to enrich uranium.

"And you had the even more flagrant case of the contracts that Iraq was
alleged to have tried to conclude with Niger about the importation of raw
uranium (...) and the IAEA found that it was a fake."

Mr Blix added that Unmovic found little at the sites pointed out by
intelligence services - which, he said, further undermines their credibility.

But the fact that the inspectors' mission was brought to a sudden end did not
prove its irrelevance, Mr Blix contended.

"I didn't find that any of the (UN) diplomats here doubt that inspections
will be very useful in the future," he insisted.

Mr Blix said the mission had showed that it was possible to have a UN
inspection regime that was truly international and independent from the
intelligence services of member states.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/middle_east/2867913.stm

Published: 2003/03/20 11:56:36