[Peace-discuss] Congrats to PRC

Joan Nelshoppen jnlshppn at prairienet.org
Fri Mar 21 09:19:11 CST 2003

I want to commend the Progressive Resource Action Cooperative for pulling
together a superb and wonderful rally yesterday.  They gathered THIRTY
co-sponsoring groups together and did a tremendous amount of organizing to
bring together 1200 anti-war protestors at this difficult time.  This was a
tremendous show of strength for the peace movement as well as a chance for
the thousand+ there to hear inspirational speakers and be energized in work
that is not easy.  Thank you PRC for all of your hard work!!!

I think there is much confusion about the events that followed PRC's great
peace rally.  The rally moved from the quad to Goodwin and Green which is a
great location for vehicles and pedestrians passing by to see the massive
amount of people (still in the 100s - probably 500 or so) there lining the
sidewalks.    What a great show of force it would have been if we could
have continued to hold our banners and chant peacefully.

Here is where I see what happened as completely different from Robert's
account.   When SPA could not rally enough crowds for their planned march
they duped the crowds that were there for the PRC rally into going into the
streets and being civilly disobedient.  One could easily argue that SPA
planned their event for just after the PRC rally so they would have someone
to show up for it.  In other words they capitalized on another group's very
hard work.

Civil disobedience can be very powerful but it should be planned
carefully.  I think there were probably quite a few marchers who weren't
planning on breaking laws.  Shouldn't they have known what they were
getting into?  What if it had turned ugly?  Were security and planning and
a route even in place?   Social change comes about not from random events
but from very hard work and organizing and organizing that is never seen by
the masses.  Witness the lunch counter sit-ins in Nashville.  Read Bill
Moyer's Doing Democracy for a deeper analysis.

I am not (yet) a member of the PRC.  But I truly admire the wonderful event
they pulled together yesterday.  Congratulations!!

Joan