[Peace-discuss] Congrats to PRC

Brian Hagy bhagy at urbana.indymedia.org
Fri Mar 21 20:02:38 CST 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Ken Urban wrote:

> I agree with Doug.  I think it will hurt the P4P Protests and AWARE if
> people start marching into Prospect.  I think the Champaign Police were
> exceptionally well-behaved in stopping traffic and protecting the
> marchers.  I show up with my children to PRC events and AWARE events
> because I know that they are going to be safe. I left when people
> started marching in the streets.
>
> I have no problem with SPA engaging in civil disobedience. But I think
> they should be distinctly separate events or AWARE will have trouble
> dealing with the police and attracting 'less active' activists.
>
> Ken

ah, oops.  didn't mean to imply that AWARE should engage in any disruptive
activities, unless preplanned and well announced for those who wouldn't
want to participate.  just pointing out that sometimes things have to be
more than holding signs and banners to actually create a difference.

and with that said, i highly support and participate when i can with the
activities that AWARE (and the PRC) have set up.  i plan to keep
participating, especially because they are non-confrontational, which i
personally prefer.  as long as we have a presence, then people know there
is opposition, and can't say all US citizens are supporting this war.
they will know how things really are.

brian