[Peace-discuss] lowe's etc: an alternative perspective

Peter Rohloff rohloff at uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 23 09:36:16 CST 2003

Howdy all. I was the member of the P4P 'security' on parking lot
detail, and here are my observations:

1. In a space of two hours, I redirected around 100 cars. This is a lot
of cars, and would definitely have impacted Lowe's parking. I think the
management has a point.

2. Before we all get our persecution complexes up,  my observation was
that the Lowe's employees who were assigned to 'towing' were equally
targeting pro- and anti-war parkers. I think the manager himself had a
pro-war bias, but this did not appear true of the employees who were
actually doing the spotting.

3. I was non-partisan in my activities, and I redirected nearly as many
pro-war as anti-war demonstrators. Both  the police and the Lowe's
people noticed this, and the police in particular made a point to
thank us for our help and cooperation. I think building up this kind of
currency when possible is a good thing, since we peaceniks usually seem
to be on the police's bad side. I was disappointed to see a few folks
specifically targeting the police with angry comments.

4. In general, the pro-war people that I re-directed were much more
understanding than the anti-war people, and much less likely to accost
the Lowe's employees with angry comments. Giving the Lowe's manager a
piece of one's mind was probably appropriate, but I started to feel
sorry for the peons who were taking the brunt of the anger.

5. I had a lengthy conversation with the police about parking
alternatives and, although they were reluctant to give official
'suggestions', they let it be known that the old Best Buy on the
frontage road is vacant. Perhaps we should investigate this as an
alternative? I'm not sure how far the walk is, but is can't be any more
distant than Borders, which is where many people parked.

Now the standard disclaimer: Just my $0.02. :-)

In peace, Peter