[Peace-discuss] This is what war looks like

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Mon Mar 24 07:18:23 CST 2003

Danielle and others: The consequences of war are simply death, injury, and
illness nothing more nothing less- the images of reality must be shown and
understood because in to many cases medical care is impossible. COMBAT TRIAGE
IS USED TO SAVE AS MANY LIVES AS POSSIBLE SO THOSE WITH THE WORST INJURIES,
TIME CONSUMING MEDICAL CARE REQUIREMENTS,  ARE ABANDONED!! Blown off limbs-
traumatic amputations, lacerations that can't be sutured, evicerations, and
always horrible wound contamination  Trying to start an IV that is essential
to save lives with blood loss is almost impossible.  All you do is scrap up
the pieces with a putty knife like I did with Gulf War I casualties.  There
is no such thing as precison guided munitions despite the rhetoric.
Explosives go off and destroy everything within the radius based on the
amount / pounds of explosives. As this winds down casulties will be those
injured in combat and those who become ill and injured as result of continued
exposures and unexploded ordnance. THAT INCLUDES EVERY MAN, WOMAN, AND CHILD
IN THE GULF REGION AND WHERE EVER  TROOPS GO HOME WITH TRANSFERRABLE HEALTH
PROBLEMS AS ALWAYS BEFORE IN HISTORY (WWI flu epidemic). The needs for
medical care for POW's / EPW's is essential but always forgotten in war.  And
it will be today too.

ONCE MORE WAR IS SIMPLY KILLING, DESTROYING, DYING, AND ILLNESS.  Nothing
"grand" about that and when our troops return as after every war medical care
is unavailable.

Maybe this time we will not forget.  BUT RIGHT NOW THE DANVILLE/ ILLINA VA
CAN'T TAKE CARE OF US ALREADY WOUNDED/ INJURED IN PREVIOUS COMBAT SO HOW CAN
THEY TAKE CARE OF NEW GULF WAR II CASUALTIES.

doug rokke

"FORGOTTEN WARRIORS"

By Doug Rokke, Ph.D.
MAJOR, Medical Service Corps,
U.S. Army Reserve

ONE MOMENT AN INDIVIDUAL WAS WALKING THROUGH A MEADOW OF
FLOWERS.

IN THE NEXT MOMENT SONS, DAUGHTERS, HUSBANDS, AND WIVES
BECAME SOLDIERS.

THEY DEFENDED OUR NATION AND PAID WITH THEIR LIFE OR HEALTH.

THE CITIZEN SOLDIER ----- THE MINUTE MAN.

OUR NATION IS BUILT ON THEIR WILLINGNESS TO RESPOND TO OUR
NATIONS CALL.

SOME FOUGHT IN THE JUNGLES OF VIETNAM, YET MANY RESPONDED TO FIGHT IN A
DISTANT DESERT WAR.

THEY FOUGHT WITH SKILL AND DETERMINATION AND FREED A LAND.

THEN OUR NATION'S WARRIORS RETURNED HOME TO PARADES AND PARTIES AND JOY
SPREAD FROM SHORE TO SHORE.

BUT WHEN THE GLOW SUBSIDED THE WARRIORS REMAINED ALONE AND FORGOTTEN.

WE ASKED THEM TO FIGHT AND THEN FORGOT TO PROVIDE THEM MEDICAL CARE.

WE RESEARCH AND STUDY AND SEARCH FOR A CAUSE DELAYING RESPONSE THROUGH
IGNORANCE AND FEAR.

YET THE FORGOTTEN WARRIORS SUFFER IN SILENCE WITH HONOR AND HOPE.

FOR ALL THE FORGOTTEN WARRIORS WANT IS MEDICAL CARE.