[Peace-discuss] America's Bombs Hurting Our Kids SEND ACTION~a5811u4843 (fwd)

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 25 12:12:08 CST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:59:10 -0500 (EST)
From: TrueMajority <alerts at truemajority.org>
To: ppatton at uiuc.edu
Subject: America's Bombs Hurting Our Kids          SEND ACTION~a5811u4843

Reckless Wartime Budget Will Hurt Kids
For Decades to Come

Tell Senate We Can't Afford to Enrich the Rich
While Paying for War in Iraq

(If you are already a member of TrueMajority, you can send free faxes to your
Senators by just clicking Reply and then Send. Please forward this message to
your friends, family and colleagues. If this message was forwarded to you or if
you'd like to edit your letter, click this link to send your fax:)

http://www.truemajority.com/index.asp?action=2495&ms=reck1&ref=4843

Shock and awe have taken on a whole new meaning as we watch the carnage in
Iraq. The images can be overwhelming. And it is exactly that fog of war that
the folks in Washington are using for cover to further their destructive
agenda. This week the Senate will face President Bush's first request for money
to pay for his war. Early media reports tell us that the figure will top $75
billion. At the same time the Senate is being asked to approve enormous tax
cuts, mainly for the millionaire class. Because the cost of guns is so great,
the United States government has never cut taxes during wartime fearing too
great a sacrifice of butter. But that is just what the Senate is poised to do
quickly and with little public debate because they can't defend it in the light
of day

Two years ago when America enjoyed record surpluses the folks in Washington
told us that even then we didn't have enough money to give every kid health
insurance, fully fund Head Start or get serious about the poverty of children
around the world. Now, as we face record deficits and a huge war bill they are
telling us we still don't have money for those things, but they have found more
than twice that sum to use for tax cuts for millionaires. Well, I know a whole
bunch of millionaires and trust me, they don't need the money half as badly as
a kid who can't afford to see a doctor when he's sick.

Millions of us came together in historic opposition to this war, now let's stay
together to limit the damage it will cause. Click Reply and we'll send a fax to
your Senators asking them not to pass the first budget in American history to
cut taxes during wartime. If you want to customize the fax, or if a friend
forwarded this email to you, just click this link to send your free fax:

http://www.truemajority.com/index.asp?action=2495&ms=reck1&ref=4843

Sincerely,
Ben Cohen
President, TrueMajority
Co-Founder, Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream

I am writing this email on my own and not on behalf of Ben & Jerry's,
which is not associated with the TrueMajority campaign.

Here is a copy of the letter we'll send to your Senators:

Dear Senator,

I am constituent of yours and am very frightened by the Bush administration's
plans for large tax cuts for millionaires while trying to pay for the war in
Iraq. If these cuts pass, it will be the first time in history that our
government has cut taxes during wartime, an idea that has always been viewed as
reckless.

The children of Iraq are already suffering because of this war. Financing it
with borrowed money and cutting already inadequate kids' programs will only
ensure that our children suffer too. Please vote against Bush's proposed
permanent tax cuts. As his latest request for money shows, our children can't
afford it.

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,
(We'll put your name and address here)