[Peace-discuss] The future of P4P (and a new P4P idea)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 26 11:28:27 CST 2003

I find myself saying both yes and no to Randall's thoughtful attempt to
suggest how we should proceed with our public protests.

I think first of all that our "Prospect for Peace" demonstrations are even
more important now that the invasion has begun.  It would not have made
sense for those few who were opposing what the Kennedy administration was
planning to do, to say after the invasion of South Vietnam in 1962 that
"energy spent trying to stop this particular war will become increasingly
pointless as the invasion and occupation is completed."  To say that now
is to argue a qualitative difference between what the US was doing in
Southeast Asia and what it is doing now in Southwest Asia.  In both cases
we're confronted with inhuman imperial wars.

I find it difficult to imagine circumstances -- although they may be
possible -- in which it would "actually be worse for the Iraqi people (and
the rest of humanity as well) if the U.S. stopped in its tracks, pulled
out and came home."  That's exactly what we should be demanding -- "Stop
the killing / Bring the troops home."

Suppose -- it's difficult to imagine, I admit -- that the US should
declare a cease-fire, announce its intention to withdraw its troops from
all of Southwest Asia (as the British did), and convene under UN auspices
a general peace conference for the region (which the Iraqis asked for and
the US rejected just before the 1991 Gulf War).  To that end it would
direct the Israelis to withdraw from the occupied territories and begin
dismantling their vast arsenal of weapons of mass destruction -- under
threat of the suspension of the massive US subventions.  The goal would be
regional disarmament (which UN SC Resolution 687, ending the Gulf War,
calls for) and reconstruction -- the US undoubtedly being liable for major
reparations to Afghanistan and Iraq for launching aggressive wars.  (This
would follow from, say, the election of the Green party candidate for
president...)

Although it's certainly true that a great deal of "damage is already
done," I don't see how "pulling out to let Saddam take over again ...
would only make things worse."  US policies have kept Saddam in place for
a dozen years.  The US wanted a strongman in Baghdad after the Gulf War --
a functioning democracy might not follow our wishes and might give other
Arab states dangerous democratic ideas -- and the brutal sanctions regime
of the Clinton years rallied the Iraqis to the dictator.  As we've seen in
Eastern Europe, allowing domestic politics to work -- not launching
external attacks -- is what brings dictators down.

The terrorists of 9/11 were motivated by three grievances, shared by very
many people in the Middle East who are not terrorists: (1) the corruption
of Arab governments by the US, insisting on controlling Middle East oil;
(2) the near genocidal sanctions against Iraq, directed by the US; and (3)
the oppression of the Palestinians by Israel, allowed to do so by the US.
The Bush administration sells its Iraq war at home by whipping up fear of
terrorism while making it more likely.  We have to insist that the US
remove the grievances that lead to terrorism.

What does this situation mean for our local efforts?  I think Randall is
absolutely right when he says our public protest is "more relevant than
ever," in part because
	"1. protesting in large numbers may have a positive effect on how
the war is prosecuted...
	"2. ... just because the killing has started [in a vastly expanded
way], that's no time to give up trying to show people this war was wrong
...  this will not necessarily stop with Iraq [certainly not, unless we
stop it] ... [and]
	"3. ... the much bigger issue at stake remains -- the outrageously
aggressive official U.S. policy of unilateral 'pre-emption' ('prevention'
being the more accurate term) that laid the foundation for this war..."

Randall's also correct in saying that "The primary reason Americans
support the war ... is that they put faith in the administration's
unproven justifications [but he's being gentle -- they're lies]: Saddam's
links to Al-qaeda and 9/11, weapons of mass destruction, 'liberation' of
Iraqi people, decrease of terrorism, beneficial spread of democracy in the
middle east, a relatively short and easy war with few civilian
casualties..."  I think he agrees that "it's important for us to use
events like P4P" to expose those lies.  And we can do that.

Which leads me to a disagreement.  I don't think our public demonstration
should focus exclusively on even principally on the deaths of Americans.
We should insist that the administration's war policy is a crime, in
general and in particular, and explain why it's wrong morally, legally and
politically.  And we should insist that "Another world is possible"  --
and that, in the short run, another US policy is possible: "End the war /
US out of Iraq."

Regards, Carl