[Peace-discuss] Slight change in P4P introduction/help sheet

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 27 16:13:15 CST 2003

In our P4P handout, Under NONVIOLENCE, I'm adding the first three words in
the following sentence. I'm pretty sure everyone would agree, but let me
know if there are any objections...

Counter-protestors and a small percentage of passing drivers may respond to
the demonstration with insults or offensive gestures.

For reference, the full NONVIOLENCE section now reads:

Be peaceful and nonviolent in your actions and words. A demonstration
against aggression whose participants are aggressive may defeat its own
purpose. Counter-protestors and a small percentage of passing drivers may
respond to the demonstration with insults or offensive gestures. It may be
best to ignore such responses entirely. Some of us choose to deflect such
attacks with positive responses (such as smiling, flashing a "thumbs-up" or
shouting "I love you"). Returning insults or gestures or attempting to argue
is probably counterproductive and could lead to pointless conflict.