[Peace-discuss] WEFT coverage

Jason Pitzl-Waters jpitzl at wildhunt.org
Mon Mar 31 09:39:40 CST 2003

Just because Democracy Now! decides to add a second hour doesn't mean we
can just decide to throw it into the schedule, any more than I or any other
WEFT program can decide to expand their show another hour and expect the
shows that come before or after to make room. To do that would violate what
WEFT stands for. Each air shifter "owns" their piece of air time granted to
them by the programming committee. To expand one show means to take away
from another. Hence, decisions to preempt or replace a program are not made
lightly or capriciously.

Would you like to see our great locally produced public affairs programming
fall to the wayside to make room for Democracy Now!? Or are you saying that
music air shifters should sacrifice time to a program that they might not
even agree with? How is that keeping with the values that shows like
Democracy Now! endorse?

Programming decisions at WEFT are made by the programming committee, not by
the station manager who's job it is to oversee the daily operation of the
station. If you or anyone else wants to see changes happen in the WEFT
schedule I suggest that you get involved and become a part of the  WEFT
process. We currently have vacant BOD appointed slots on the programming
committee, perhaps you or someone else could be a part of guiding WEFT's
future.

To learn more about how the programming committee works you can e-mail the
current chair of the committee Kimberlie Kranich at Kranich at will.uiuc.edu

To learn more about our board of directors and how to perhaps run for a
board-appointed slot on the WEFT programming committee you can contact the
current board chair Janet Lowry at jplanet10 at earthlink.net

Remember, direct action in your community trumps e-mail every time.

Jason Pitzl-Waters
TheSkysGoneOut
Sundays from 10pm-12am
WEFT 90.1fm, Champaign IL