[Peace-discuss] Picket Winkel's office, demand YES vote on HB 211! -- please RSVP

Brooke Anderson brooke at shout.net
Wed May 7 17:41:08 CDT 2003

PICKET SENATOR WINKEL'S OFFICE, DEMAND YES VOTE ON HB 211
Monday, May 12th from 12 noon - 1 pm
Senator Winkel's District Office
Sunneycrest Mall, Suite #27, Philo & Florida, Urbana
Email brooke at shout.net to RSVP and for carpool info

Dear friends,

I write with another update on HB 211 -- Contraceptive Equity in
Health Insurance -- which would require Illinois health insurance
plans that offer prescription coverage to cover prescription
contraceptives.

Despite being contacted by over 1,000 constituents, meeting with
representatives of the Women's Health Task Force, and receiving
repeated requests to let the community know how he will vote on this
legislation, Senator Rick Winkel has not declared his position on HB
211. However, all indications we have suggest that he will vote no on
this legislation, at least without significantly more community
uproar! The vote is expected to take place the middle of next week.
So, there is still time to demonstrate that our community
overwhelmingly supports this legislation and that Winkel stands to
hurt his re-election chances with a NO vote on this legislation.

We will be picketing Senator Winkel's district office this Monday,
May 12th at 12 noon. His office is located in Suite #27 of Sunnycrest
Mall off Florida and Philo Rd. in Urbana. Carpools from campus will
be leaving from the Illinois Disciples Foundation parking lot (NW
corner of Springfield and Wright), and the Illini Union at 11:45am.

HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP:
1. RSVP to this email to let us know if you can attend the picket.
2. Forward this message to everyone you know!
3. Distribute fliers (email me for an electronic copy)
4. Call Winkel's office at (217) 782-2507, urge him to vote yes on HB 211.

Again, please let me know whether you can make the picket and whether
you'll need a ride. And please pass the word along. If you need more
information or would like to volunteer for or donate to the
contraceptive coverage campaign, please contact me at (217) 352-6533,
ext. 17 or at brooke at shout.net.

Brooke Anderson * Women's Health Task Force

--
Brooke Anderson
Email = brooke at shout.net