[Peace-discuss] [Fwd: Today's Voice: Behind the DLC Takeover]

Jay Mittenthal mitten at life.uiuc.edu
Fri May 23 13:07:50 CDT 2003

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Today's Voice: Behind the DLC Takeover
From: "Voice4Change" <newsletter at voice4change.org>
Date: Fri, May 23, 2003 7:37 am
To: "mitten at life.uiuc.edu" <mitten at life.uiuc.edu>

Voice4Change
Changing Hearts and Minds
http://www.voice4change.org

May 23, 2003

Dear mitten at life.uiuc.edu,

Today's Voice

On Tuesday May 26th We will launch our Political Action Center and start
initiating our own alerts again. Thank you to all who donated to make
this possible.

Behind the DLC Takeover
By John Nichols
The Progressive

http://www.progressive.org/nich1000.htm

Note this a story from the year 2000. Many readers want to know more
about the DLC so I thought I'd pass the story on.

At the national convention of a major political party, an ideologically
rigid sectarian clique secures the ultimate triumph. It inserts two of
its own as nominees for the Presidency and the Vice Presidency. Heavily
financed by the most powerful corporations in the world, the group's
leaders gather in a private club fifty-four floors above the convention
hall, apart from the delegates of the party they had infiltrated. There,
they carefully monitor the convention's acceptance of a platform the
organization had drafted almost in its entirety. Then, with the ticket
secured and with the policy course of the party set, they introduce a
team of 100 shock troops to deploy across the country to lock up the
party's grassroots.

This is not some fantastic political thriller starring Harrison Ford or
Sharon Stone. This is the real-life version of Invasion of the Party
Snatchers--with the Democratic Leadership Council (DLC) burrowing into
the pod that is the Democratic Party.

For the rest of the story:
http://www.voice4change.org/stories/showstory.asp?file=030523~v4c.asp

Our Democracy Needs Real News with Diverse Points of View

Stop Giant Media Corporations from Growing Bigger-and Serving Up More
Bias, Mayhem & Infotainment

If journalism provided us a healthy diet of balanced news-rather than an
overdose of mayhem, fluff, and distortion-would we have been able to
prevent America's invasion of Iraq? Would more people vote? Would our
neighbors be less cynical and less fearful of each other? Would our
democracy and collective spirit be stronger? We think so.

For the rest of the story:
http://www.voice4change.org/stories/showstory.asp?file=030523~tm.asp

Support the Freedom to Read!
May 17, 2003

With the passage of the USA PATRIOT Act, the FBI gained the power to
search your library and book-buying records without probable cause of
any crime or intent to commit a crime. Furthermore, librarians and
others who are required to turn over records are not allowed to say that
the search has occurred or that records were given to the government.

This means that average Americans could have their privacy violated
wholesale without justification or proper judicial oversight.  Questions
from Members of Congress to the Department of Justice about the use of
this power have gone unanswered or have received a superficial response.

Sanders (I-VT) has proposed the "Freedom to Read Protection Act" (HR.
1157).  This act would restrict the key provision of the USA PATRIOT Act
-- by exempting libraries and bookstores from the laws that allow the
FBI to conduct these searches of personal records.

For the rest of the story:
http://www.voice4change.org/stories/showstory.asp?file=030523~aclu.asp

Save our Schools from Budget Disaster

Congress must insure that basic services like our nation's schools are
funded before approving more tax and budget cuts.

Across the nation, schools are suffering. Tens of thousands of teachers
have received pink slips and looming budget deficits only promise worse
to come. Yet in Washington, Congress seems unaware of the problems at
home. They're talking about cutting taxes and cutting budgets -- not
about how to keep the schools and essential services going.

The final vote on these budget cuts will come in just a few days, and
we're leading a campaign to bring focus to who is getting hurt --
especially to the cuts that will hurt our kids and fail our schools.

For the rest of the story:
http://www.voice4change.org/stories/showstory.asp?file=030523~mo.asp

State Monitored War Protesters

Intelligence agency does not distinguish between terrorism and peace
activism

Oakland Tribune - Sunday, May 18, 2003

By Ian Hoffman, Sean Holstege and Josh Richman, STAFF WRITERS

Days before firing wooden slugs at anti-war protesters, Oakland police
were warned of potential violence at the Port of Oakland by California's
anti-terrorism intelligence center, which admits blurring the line
between terrorism and political dissent.

For the rest of the story:
http://www.voice4change.org/stories/showstory.asp?file=030523~cfwp.asp

Warm Regards,

Voice4Change.org