[Peace-discuss] legal support guidelines

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Mon May 26 14:07:44 CDT 2003

legal support guidelinesI must say that I don't recall any expression of approval by the meeting as a whole. I do recall expressions of both approval and dissent. In any case, I was not asked if I objected. If I was, I would have said yes and others may have as well.

Now, I agree with Carl that when the rubber meets the road in future cases, the course of events will very likely outrun and circumvent the proposed guidelines, policies and procedures below. Given that, it might be suggested that I have little motivation to object. There would be some truth to that, but I'm concerned about the precedent this is setting.

This all seems to me rather arbitrary and unnecessarily restrictive bureaucracy - exactly the kind of thing AWARE has a history of successfully avoiding, to its great credit. I could now proceed to outline my objections to various individual provisions of the proposed guidelines, policies and procedures below, but instead, I would like to suggest the material below not yet be formally adopted, that it be set aside for now and that it be further discussed and debated once Lori's legal fight is resolved.