[Peace-discuss] Recall Bush Rally Speech

Linda Evans veganlinda at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 3 13:49:03 CST 2003

Paul,

Thanks for doing the speech and for posting it to the
list.  I am sorry I had to miss the rally.  You are a
member of AWARE.  AWARE is full of unique people with
all sorts of views who come together to oppose war and
racism.  Please don't feel like you can't 'speak for
AWARE'.  I appreciate all that you give to the group.

How was the turnout?  It was a great day for a rally.

Linda
--- Paul King <pmking at students.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> The college Democrats held a Recall Bush Rally today
> on the UIUC quad and
> asked me to speak. I've posted the text of my speech
> below for anyone who
> might be interested in reading it. Please let me
> know if I've mistankenly
> made any claims that are not true.
>
> I was introduced as a member of AWARE and a veteran.
> I did not claim to
> speak for AWARE.
>
> ..:: paul

> Yesterday guerillas shot down a U.S. transport
> helicopter near Baghdad
> killing 15 soldiers. Journalists were told to leave
> the area and their
> film was confiscated.
>
> A wheat farmer was quoted with saying this:
>
> "The Americans are pigs. We will hold a celebration
> because this
> helicopter went down -- a big celebration. The
> Americans are enemies
> of mankind."
>
> This is not a sentiment unique to the people we are
> killing in Iraq.
>
> 71 percent of Europeans view the current presidency
> as the biggest
> threat to world peace and stability today.
>
> Why is this?
>
> In September of 2002 a radical and illegal
> international agenda was
> declared with the release of the new National
> Security
> Strategy. Basically, this doctrine announces that we
> plan on
> maintaining permanent global domination through the
> *unilateral* use
> of military power. In other words, we seek full
> spectrum dominance of
> the entire world and we will crush anyone we
> perceive to be a threat
> to this objective...
>
> ...And we've killed 19,000 people in an
> impoverished, defenseless
> country to show the world that we mean it.
>
> Our money is dirty.
>
> The gas in our cars may as well be blood.
>
> Iraqi poet Saadi Youssef writes:
>
> I'll spit in the jackal's faces,
> I'll spit on their lists,
> I'll declare that we are the people of Iraq,
> We are the ancestral trees of this land.
>
> Soon after the National Security Strategy was
> released, Space Command
> announced that the U.S. not only wants to control
> space, we want to
> own it - permanently - for military purposes.
>
> Kennedy's dream is dead. Space is no longer regarded
> as the frontier
> where nations work together and, once and for all,
> leave behind their
> ancient, terrestrial disputes. Instead, we want to
> use space so that
> we can attack any other country without warning
> whenever and wherever
> we want.
>
> My God, who are these people? Who has seized control
> of our country?
>
> Actually, we know who they are. We've seen them
> before. They are the
> [...]

=====
"There are some things you need just to stay alive:  food, water, a place to live, clothes to keep warm, help when you are ill or injured... Peace is having the things you need."  (Peace Begins with You by Katherine Scholes, children's book)