[Peace-discuss] Energy Summit

Paul King pmking at students.uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 4 12:12:49 CST 2003

Hi,

I just saw a message posted by the Prairie Greens about an Energy Summit.
I was wondering if we might like to become co-sponsors of this event. I
know that it is a little off topic for our group, but not really. The
message is posted below. What do you think?

..:: paul

at the YMCA (Latzer Hall)
1001 S Wright
Champaign
Wednesday, November 12 at 4:00 pm

Wednesday, November 12 at 4 pm at the U of I, Lieutenant Governor Pat
Quinn will hold an energy summit on the role of the public in shaping
energy policy for the State of Illinois.  In the wake of the catastrophic
blackout throughout the East Coast--the worst power outage in US history,
Lt. Gov. Quinn will hold a discussion regarding energy reform and how the
public can be brought into the policy making process to help shape a
long-term plan for Illinois' energy infrastructure.  On August 16,
Governor Rod Blagojevich appointed Lt. Gov. Quinn Chairman of a new
"Special Task Force on the Condition and Future of the Illinois Energy
Infrastructure."  The mission of the Special Task Force is to analyze the
state's existing energy infrastructure, examine Illinois nuclear power
plant safety, and to look at ways to relieve pressure on the grid by
promoting energy efficiency and renewable energy.  The Task Force is
expected to make comprehensive recommendations for reform in early 2004.

Refreshments will be provided

UIUC Co-sponsors include: Students for Environmental Concerns, Illinois
Student Environmental Network, Prairie Group of the Sierra Club, Earth
Doctors