[Peace-discuss] Woman's Anti-Bush Obituary

Linda Evans veganlinda at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 10 22:22:06 CST 2003

http://www.abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20031107_1590.html

Woman's Anti-Bush Obituary Draws Donations to
Democratic Presidential Candidates

NEW ORLEANS (AP) Nov. 7 - Gertrude M. Jones didn't
want flowers or cards when she died. She wanted to get
rid of President Bush. The 81-year-old woman's
obituary asked that memorial donations be given "to
any organization that seeks the removal of President
Bush
from office."

And people around the country are following her
wishes.

In an online memorial book to Jones, dozens of people
posted messages of support. Many wrote that they would
contribute to the Democratic National Committee or one
of the presidential contenders.

"When I saw the obituary I thought, 'That's pretty
cool. She's not here in this life anymore, but she's
keeping going with something she feels deeply about,"
said Susan Crites, an online bookseller in Colorado
who was moved by the obituary to add an extra $10 to
the approximately $350 she has sent to Howard Dean.

The campaign of fellow candidate Wesley Clark has also
received at least 15 donations in Jones' name in
Montana alone, said Angela Monaghan, Clark's campaign
coordinator in Ramsay, Mont.

"It's been real effective. If that's what it takes to
get people to donate, then that's great," Monaghan
said.

Jones, of Mandeville, La., died Aug. 25 and her brief
obituary appeared in The (New Orleans) Times-Picayune
on Oct. 2.

=====
Kindness and compassion towards all living things is a mark of a civilized society. Conversely, cruelty, whether if is directed against human beings or against animals, is not the exclusive province of any one culture or community of people. ... Racism, economic deprival, dogfighting and cockfighting, bullfighting and rodeos are cut from the same fabric: violence ... only when we have become non violent towards all life will we have learned to live well ourselves. Cesar Chavez, 1927-93 (letter, 12/90)