[Peace-discuss] BOT to Vote on "Chief" Thur!!

Brooke Anderson brooke at shout.net
Wed Nov 12 16:59:22 CST 2003

    BOT to Vote on "Chief"!
    8:30am Tomorrow (Thursday)
    Illini Rooms A,B,C, Illini Union
    Tell them to eliminate the racist Chief
    BE THERE and BE EARLY!

Dear Friends,

As you all know, this is a very important time in the Anti-"Chief"
movement.  The Board of Trustees has placed a resolution on their
Thursday's meeting in Urbana that would eliminate "Chief Illiniwek"
as our mascot. This  means that it is a possibility that the racist
symbol that had plagued our  University for 77 years will be
eliminated after Thursday afternoon! The PRC is supporting the
elimination of the dance and logo (as proposed in the resolution), as
well as the elimination of all vestiges of the "Chief", including the
name "Fighting Illini".

Now is the time to let the board know how you feel, tell them to vote to
eliminate the "Chief!"

There are several things to do right now:

1. Plan to attend the public comment session on Thursday at 8:30a.m. currently
scheduled at the Illini Ball Room ABC, and the vote on the resolution
currently scheduled for after 9:00a.m.  Wear your anti-"Chief" gear in
support!
If you do not have an anti-"Chief" t-shirt, shirts will also be available for
purchasing ($10) at the meeting. SHOW UP EARLY! SEATING MIGHT BE LIMITED. We
suggest arriving an hour early, at 7:00am at the union.

2. Call the board office at (217) 333-1920. As a U of I student or an
Illinois  resident, encourage the Board of Trustees to vote to
eliminate the dance, logo, and name "Fighting Illini."

3. Email the Board of Trustees with the same message at
mthompsn at uillinois.edu. Please be sure to copy the PRC
(prc at prairienet.org) to any emails you send to the board for our
records.

4. Encourage your friends and family to let the board know how they feel too.
They Board should be just as accountable to students as they are to Illinois
residents, and parents who pay tuition!

5. The News-Gazette has a poll on whether the UI should retire Chief
Illiniwek. Go to http://www.news-gazette.com and vote YES! And
forward this to your friends.

This is a crucial time and your support can help us attain the victory that
the Progressive Resource/Action Cooperative has been fighting for 13
long years. Thank you for your support. If you have any questions or
need more information, call us at (217) 778-3638 or email us at
prc at prairienet.org

In struggle,
The Progressive Resource/Action Cooperative
--
Brooke Anderson
Email = brooke at shout.net