[Peace-discuss] Flag flap

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Wed Nov 12 23:12:49 CST 2003

I've been ruminating:

Yes, Dean showed gross dumb insensitivity in making his remark about
those who paste Confederate flags on their pick-ups.

Yes, Dean was probably insensitive because of his privileged
background, white and comfortable.

Are there differences between those with conscious racist intentions,
those with unconscious prejudices, and those who are simply insensitive
to the feelings and history of others? I think there are significant
differences. Does one have to believe in the superiority of a
particular race (however that is defined) to be a racist, or is one a
racist because one may use words which, perhaps out of ignorance,
offend a characteristic group of people? Is one a racist if one favors
(and understands) one's own "family-tribe-ethnicity" rather than one's
neighbors'?

Yes, I think the words "racist" and "racism" are used indiscriminately.
Not all the great evils of the world can be attributed to racism, as
many seem to think. Wars are NOT generally fought for racist reasons.
Our war against Serbia, Iraq, the Sandinistas was not fought for racial
motives.  Nor was WWI or WWII or even Vietnam. Economics, greed, lust
for power, geopolitics, simple ignorance, classism-- all have
contributed to creating injustice and destruction. But of course, once
on the road to war, all the hateful epithets and propaganda come into
play. Racism then raises its ugly head, for war making governments
can't allow their publics to think that  the "enemy" is our equal,
whose lives are worth as much as our own. Demonization,  contempt and
hate then become necessary tools for war fighting.

Racism (an unscientific term) is not just present among whites; all
colors  have been infected by it. "Whitey" is a term of contempt just
as are "nigger", "wog", "kike", "wop", dink, chink, Jap, .... Perhaps
realizing this will make us feel less guilty.

Being born in the south doesn't alone lend one any special insight into
racism against blacks, although those who have come from families in
which such racism was embedded, and in towns in which racism was the
order of the day, may well have a special sensitivity and awareness
about the roots of racism and how it shows itself. There has been a
full measure of racism in the north. We all know about racial unrest
and discrimination in Chicago, New York, Detroit, LA, Boston, etc..
Which is not to say that racism---the wish to proclaim and establish
one's ethnic superiority over others---has been as pervasive in the
north as in the south.

Doug: To say that flying the confederate flag isn't necessarily a mark
of racism, but perhaps a wish to uphold "states rights" misses the
whole point about the ferocity of the wish to uphold states rights.

When all is said and done, I believe that a mountain has been made out
of a molehill in castigating Dean. I don't believe his intentions were
racist. and I would not adopt the thesis that his insensitivity implies
racial malevolence and belief in racial superiority. I don't know
Dean's true feelings and beliefs, but I would not assume the worst on
the basis of what he said. Ask Vermonters about this.

Al's deeply felt belief in the inherent racism of whites, indicated by
insensitive language, is something I think is overwrought. It may be
that racism, or "otherism" is a deeply embedded human trait, but it is
not a particular trait of whites against blacks; all colors seem to be
equally afflicted.

Enough, or perhaps too much, for now. My apologies.

MKB