"Nigger" - was Re: [Peace-discuss] Flag flap

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 07:36:52 CST 2003

I have followed these discussions with great interest and am mightily impressed with all the care and reasoning put into them. Yet I remain confused as to what is “OK” and what is not. I got to wondering if a Native American of today would ever say “wild as Indians.” Then the thought hit me: “Why is it OK for, (and now I don’t know the current proper term, so will use African American, if it is wrong I mean no offense,) an African American to use the term “nigger” (and use it with wild abandon at that,) while it is virtually criminal for anyone else to use it?”

I kinda get the feeling that its racist to reserve a word for the use of one race only. I don’t know.

I would appreciate being straightened out. This is not argument.

Robert Dunn <prorobert8 at hotmail.com> wrote:
thanks Ricky. Unfortunately, some on the "left" do not get it. They have had a life of privilege and comfort. Its easier to do a lecture on police repression behind a podium at a prestigious university than to see your loved ones/spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend being a victim of police brutality. Here are some suggestions for AWARE and race.

1. Admit Racism exists here at home, and in particular your own, not in some abstract intellectual world but real world shit at home, like the "Chief", police brutality, Prop 187,209 13, and 54.

2. Don't always listen to the "gurus" who think they know it all. They don't know a damn thing! Usually these "gurus" are old white male intellectuals who live a rather comfortable life inside having access to Chomsky and the Internet. I may not be old but I qualify for the other three though. Yet some people can't afford the Internet or Chomsky.

3. Stop whining about the race card, sex card, anti-semitism card. All three do exist and must be combated inside and outside the peace movement. Saying that people are being to overly sensitive over institutionalized racism, homophobia, and sexism, just confirms what these groups may fear, that the peace movement could care less about their problems.

4. The Door is not open! That is not a reason but an excuse why there are no people of color in AWARE, IMC, PraireGreens. We must get up off our lazy butts and get to work in their communities. But, does that mean we have to go on the other side of the "tracks". YES!! I know its hard to hear this, but we have to get out of our middle class white neighborhoods, and head into the "North end". Don't worry, I used to live their, as long as you are there for a legitimate purpose, no one will mess with you. Also, here in Southern Cal, the main ones who are out here organizing their asses off are people of color. Its refreshing to hear on KPFK that the weekdays are dominated by radical/alternative perspectives from the grassroots, not some snobbish university professor.

5. Take OVER WEFT!!!!!!! WEFT needs a renewal. Its dominated by the alternative music with a handful of decent public affairs. Take over the PC, BOD, and make it real community radio. not just for different subcultures. KPFK is more about providing that grassroots coverage from bottom up. It is ordinary people not just leftist intellectuals doing the shows.