[Peace-discuss] Re: [Prairiegreens] Flag flap

Jason Pitzl-Waters jpitzl at wildhunt.org
Sat Nov 15 10:09:09 CST 2003

>5. Take OVER WEFT!!!!!!! WEFT needs a renewal. Its dominated by the
>alternative music with a handful of decent public affairs. Take over the
>PC, BOD, and make it real community radio. not just for different
>subcultures. KPFK is more about providing that grassroots coverage from
>bottom up. It is ordinary people not just leftist intellectuals doing the
>shows.

Considering that the majority of "alternative" music is herded into a
musical "ghetto" after 10pm I can hardly agree that WEFT is "dominated" by
it. I suppose a more accurate statement is that there is more music than
public affairs on WEFT, which in itself is true.

I'm suppose I am somewhat offended by a call to make WEFT "real" community
radio which means that the current makeup of WEFT is somehow "fake"
community radio and doesn't represent the people living in and around
Champaign/Urbana. Perhaps in your world view it doesn't, but that doesn't
mean your vision is accurate for everyone in this community.

Contrary to the opinions of some conspiracy theorists, WEFT has always been
open to more public affairs, especially locally produced shows, but the
people have to come forward, produce the shows and go through the process
of application for open slots like everyone else. That sounds pretty open
to me.

Plus WEFT *has* been adding new public affairs shows, like "Digital
Citizen" on alternating Wednesdays from 8-10pm, or "FALA" which mixes
political hardcore and punk with news and commentary late Friday nights (or
early Saturday mornings) from 3-6am, or "C-U in Action" which alternates
with "Parenting Issues" every Saturday morning at 7:30am, or my new show
"Pagan Thoughts" which alternates with Lori Serb's and Mick Woolf's public
affair programs on Sunday mornings at 10am.

Lastly, to any progressive who feel they must remove "alternative" music
from our only community radio station in favor of public affairs I can only
quote Ms. Goldman and say "If I can not dance, I want no part in your
revolution."

Cheers,

Jason Pitzl-Waters

host of...