[Peace-discuss] Re: [Prairiegreens] Flag flap

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Sun Nov 16 22:11:16 CST 2003

Robert has gotten a new perspective because he has now experienced
just how great a community radio station can be.  WEFT is a good
station, but in my opinion, it is greatly underutilized.  The balance
between music and public affairs is tilted way too much toward music.
Don't get me wrong, I love music and we need all kinds on WEFT.  But
we also need much more solid news and public affairs.  Those of you
who attended the IMC's conference a couple of years ago on how they
do it good in Madison heard about another example closer to home.
Personally, I remember what radio was  like during my college days in
Boston.  It was truly phenomenal.  I will never forget Danny
Schechter, "The News Dissector."  Some of you may have seen his work
over the years.  Radio was a key element in education against
imperialism and organizing against the Vietnam war.

The main issue that seems to hang us up is local content.  Of course,
I am all for it, but not to the exclusion of material produced for a
national audience.  We need more progressive national programming
whether or not we are able to produce more locally.

A second issue is the timing of the programming.  I know that lots of
WEFT listeners are students and people who have non-traditional jobs,
so that timing is not a big issue to these folks.   But we need a
bigger vision.  We should be reaching out to the large numbers of
people who work traditional hours and who would love to hear
alternative news and public affairs in the early morning or evening.
I am just so frustrated that Democracy Now is on at 4 PM!  Why can't
it be on at 6 PM so I can listen to it after I get home from work?
Or why can't we have it at 7 AM instead?  I bet the audience would be
double or triple  if it was on at one of those times.  Do we really
think music is so important that we don't mind giving up a much
bigger audience for some minor timing changes?

A third issue is that whenever I raise these points, people tell me
that I should get involved and do it myself.  I reject that response.
I work a full-time job with major time commitments, do lots of
political work, nationally and internationally, and do some political
work locally.  I don't have time to do it myself.  I should be able
to expect my local radio station to use what is already nationally
available to educate, motivate, and mobilize the community.

Thanks for listening.