[Peace-discuss] UFPJ questionnaire

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 18 15:23:17 CST 2003

I should have posted this to the list for discussion, but I dropped the ball
and waited too long on this. I just remembered it's due today, so I just sent
this off as is. I'll take the heat if I've misrepresented the group (speak up
if you think this is the case).

IMPORTANT UFPJ MEMBER GROUP SURVEY

Dear UFPJ Member Group,
As the end of this incredibly active year approaches, the national
steering committee of United for Peace and Justice is discussing plans
for the coalition's work for 2004. Several things are part of this
process: the decisions made at the June national conference; the ongoing
efforts of our working groups; events in the world and here at home;
assessing the contributions UFPJ can make to the growth of the peace and
justice movement. And part of this process is finding out more about the
member groups of UFPJ.

We would like to have a better understanding of what member groups of
UFPJ are doing to fight the empire-building agenda of the Bush
administration and related issues, as well as your thoughts about how we
can work together more effectively. Your group's answers to the short
list of questions below will be very helpful. We hope you will take a
few minutes to discuss this at your next meeting, or find some other way
to have the answers reflect the thinking in your organization or group.
Your answers do not need to be long, and if there are other things you
want to share we'd love to see that as well. Please reply to us by
November 18. Send an email response to 2004plan at unitedforpeace.org.
Thanks for taking the time to do this and we look forward to reading your
response.
United for Peace and Justice
UFPJ Member Group Questionnaire
1. Was your group represented at the United for Peace and Justice
conference last June?
Yes.

2. What issues and activities has your group worked on since June,
either as local projects or as part of UFPJ's national efforts?
(campaigns? actions? working groups? other?)
a. Street demonstrations opposing the ongoing Occupation of Iraq (including
the UFPJ-coordinated Oct. 25 event)
b. Town-hall meetings (broadcast on local radio) on the War in Iraq and the
Patriot Act
c. Educational seminars w/discussion on Racism and Neo-Liberalism
d. Anti-War Fourth-of-July parade float entry
e. Co-sponsored a local visit by Kathy Kelly of Voices in the Wilderness
f. Creation and distribution of literature on issues such as Iraq, Palestine,
racism and the Democratic presidential candidates.
g. Tabling weekly at a local "Farmer's Market" event during the summer and
fall to reach out to local folks.

3. As a coalition designed to strengthen and coordinate work against the
Bush agenda of empire-building and permanent war, what can UFPJ do to
assist you in your work? (activities? organizing resources? messages?
processes?)
UFPJ should continue to concentrate on functioning primarily as a
bridge-building umbrella coalition, including as many alliances with other
groups as possible (both large and small and of all stripes), coordinating and
publicizing nationwide demonstration events and other large scale actions that
groups like ours can join (either by participating locally in solidarity or by
travelling to join larger-scale events).

4. Has your group determined your priorities for the next six months to
a year? If so, what are they?
We are far too anarchistic for that =8-) We go week-by-week wherever the
meetings take us. Overall, though, we are concerned with issues of war,
racism, militarization of society, inequalities of wealth and opportunity, the
concentration and uniformity of news sources, the global extension of American
power, the demise of internationally agreed norms of behavior, the threat of
corporate globalization to the common welfare, and the erosion of civil
liberties.

5. What are the three most important things UFPJ can do over the next
6-12 months to help build a powerful movement that can impact national
politics and policy?
a. Push to remove George Bush from office.
b. Push to remove US troops from Iraq in whatever way causes the least
suffering overall.
c. Push to oppose US support of Israel's occupation and oppression of
Palestinians.

6. What key activities should UFPJ undertake to end the occupation of
Iraq?
Continued coordination and publicizing of large-scale nationwide
demonstrations (which will likely only grow in size as time goes on)

7. Is there anything else you would like us to know about your group,
and do you have any feedback about UFPJ's work or ideas we should
consider for the future?
Please continue to foster inclusive, coordinated unity nationwide among all
groups opposing war, empire and other oppression.