[Peace-discuss] An Open Letter to GI's in Iraq

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Fri Nov 21 15:59:57 CST 2003

Paul asked: "That's really powerful. Thanks for posting it, Mort. I wonder
almost every day why every single soldier who has served doesn't turn with rage
towards the real targets - the suits in DC. They seem to persist in the same
malaise of ignorance that the general population does even though they've
often personally witnessed the consequences of U.S. foreign policy."

The answer is simple but complex. Warriors do not think like you or others
who see events unfold.  Warriors are assigned to fulfill and then do complete
the assigned combat mission.  Their reference frame is different from others who
are not engaged in combat.  Warriors perceive themselves as immune to injury,
illness, and death. Only when they face mortality do they even reconsider
events, but that does not mean they will stop. During Gulf War 1, I treated
causlties in Iraq who after I bandaged them up went back on duty without any
thoughts for what had happened or would happen to them.  They only thought was to
finish the assigned combat mission.   Today, almost 30 years after the end of
the Vietnam War that many of us fought in the physiologically and
psychologically injured "Nam vet" will suffer in silence because of a concept that General
Douglas Macarthur called "Duty, Honor, Country".  Today, over 250000 Gulf War 1
veterans are now disabled from 10% to 100% and the death count increases
daily. At the same time the Gulf War 2 casualty count is exceeding 10000. The
frustrating part is that the majority of the American public does not do anything
to help the warrior. Then when we think about, if anyone even does, collateral
damage  (non combatants) non one cares. Then we have the real casualty count
for so called "enemy"  and "coalition / allies" warriors,, but, that count is
considered irrelevant.  So when you wonder why warriors do not rebell or as
you wrote "I wonder almost every day why every single soldier who has served
doesn't turn with rage towards the real targets - the suits in DC" to understand
why they do not "turn with rage" you must think about war and participation in
war not from your perspective but that as a warrior. From our perspective we
have been abandoned not only by the jerks in D.C. but by the American public.
War is not planned and fought and sustained by jerks in D.C., who got it
started,  but by individual warriors at platoon, company, battalion, and brigade
level.   The warrior also asks why individuals; who read a letter such as this
or who learn about the reality of war not from the perspective of those in the
peace movement but from a warriors perspective; do not do something to help
the warrior obtain medical care for combat injuries, obtain compensation,
obtain effective military combat education and training that will sae lives while
optimizing their capabilities, obtain rqeipment that is not defective, and stop
the nonsense. I and other warriors who have tried to stop the nonsense and
who have combat related injuries can only wonder why those who read and learn do
not help us.   A warrior comes from a different calling and once engaged will
continue unabated, unless they see the light.  However that light must be lit
and displayed in terms that the warrior understands.   Many of us are trying
to do that and can use lots of help but that takes working from within the
mind of the warrior not going into the mind of a warrior and asking them to
change.  Today, too many individuals scold the warrior but do not see the need for
help. And many of us do turn with controlled "rage" on the suits in D.C. and
go up there and testify and try to make a change by preparing and implementing
new programs.  BUT WE NEED HELP. WHO WANTS TO HELP?  Any volunteers?

I wrote this poem some yars ago to explain it and this was used on the
history channel and prat of Secrets of War series.  I hope it explains the concepts
code warriors live and die by. .

This poem is dedicated to SFC John Sitton, a hero of Vietnam and the Persian
Gulf Wars, and all the others who defend our nation.

"FORGOTTEN WARRIORS"

By Doug Rokke, Ph.D.
MAJOR, Medical Service Corps,
U.S. Army Reserve

ONE MOMENT AN INDIVIDUAL WAS WALKING THROUGH A MEADOW OF
FLOWERS.

IN THE NEXT MOMENT SONS, DAUGHTERS, HUSBANDS, AND WIVES
BECAME SOLDIERS.

THEY DEFENDED OUR NATION AND PAID WITH THEIR LIFE OR HEALTH.

THE CITIZEN SOLDIER ----- THE MINUTE MAN.

OUR NATION IS BUILT ON THEIR WILLINGNESS TO RESPOND TO OUR
NATIONS CALL.

SOME FOUGHT IN THE JUNGLES OF VIETNAM, YET MANY RESPONDED TO FIGHT IN A
DISTANT DESERT WAR.

THEY FOUGHT WITH SKILL AND DETERMINATION AND FREED A LAND.

THEN OUR NATION'S WARRIORS RETURNED HOME TO PARADES AND PARTIES AND JOY
SPREAD FROM SHORE TO SHORE.

BUT WHEN THE GLOW SUBSIDED THE WARRIORS REMAINED ALONE AND FORGOTTEN.

WE ASKED THEM TO FIGHT AND THEN FORGOT TO PROVIDE THEM MEDICAL CARE.

WE RESEARCH AND STUDY AND SEARCH FOR A CAUSE DELAYING RESPONSE THROUGH
IGNORANCE AND FEAR.

YET THE FORGOTTEN WARRIORS SUFFER IN SILENCE WITH HONOR AND HOPE.

FOR ALL THE FORGOTTEN WARRIORS WANT IS MEDICAL CARE.