[Peace-discuss] Sorrows of Empire

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Wed Nov 26 12:04:16 CST 2003

I found this scholarly article, whose abstract is given below, to be
interesting. Maybe you will too.

It's long, so I've given the web address for the full article below. If
you want a full written email copy, let me know, and I'll send it
along.

MKB

[Sorrows of Empire
By Chalmers Johnson

The Bush presidency has increased eminent scholar Chalmers Johnson’s
disillusionment with the role the Bush administration is playing on the
global stage as well as at home. In this essay, excerpted from his
forthcoming book of the same title (Henry Holt) he develops his
argument about the impending "sorrows of empires." Johnson is
particularly concerned about the increasing militarisation of the
United States, the reduction in civil liberties and the economic
consequences for the U.S. and its allies.

Chalmers Johnson <chaljohnson at mindspring.com> is the president of the
Japan Policy Research Institute in California and author of Blowback:
The Costs and Consequences of American Empire. This essay is an excerpt
from his forthcoming book The Sorrows of Empire: Militarism, Secrecy,
and the End of the Republic (New York: Metropolitan Books and London:
Verso) and is reprinted by permission by Foreign Policy in Focus
(online at www.fpif.org).]

See complete new Present Danger Special Report online at:
http://www.presentdanger.org/papers/sorrows2003.html