[Peace-discuss] AWARE co-sponsor anti-Chief rally feat. Charlene Teters?

Brooke Anderson brooke at shout.net
Fri Oct 3 10:17:36 CDT 2003

Dear AWARE folks,

I am writing on behalf of the Progressive Resource/Action Cooperative
(PRC) to ask if AWARE would be interested in co-sponsoring our
upcoming anti-"Chief" rally.

The rally will be this coming Friday, October 10th at 12 noon outside
the Henry Administration Building on the UIUC Quad. The rally will
feature keynote speaker, Charlene Teters, founder of the anti-"Chief"
movement. We will also be picketing outside of Henry Admin Bldg
before and after the rally -- from 11:30-12 noon and from 1-2pm.

Charlene is a Spokane Indian who founded the anti-"Chief" movement on
our campus back in 1989. Since leaving Champaign-Urbana, she went on
to spark a national movement against the appropriation of native
culture and spiritual practices for mascots and sporting events.

We are delighted to be able to have Charlene speak at our rally this
year and we need your help giving her a proper welcome back to
Champaign-Urbana and bringing people out to hear her speak about
"Chief Illiniwek."

We would love if y'all would be able to co-sponsor the rally (and we
apologize for the short notice!). Of co-sponsoring organizations, we
are asking only that you:

    1. Publicize the event among your membership
       I'll send you an email announcement to forward later.

    2. Bring members to the event itself. The more the better!
       Please let me know ahead of time how many members you expect to attend.

    3. (Optional) Invite a PRC person to attend you meeting next week.
       We'd be happy to send someone to speak to your group about the event.

Again, I hope y'all will co-sponsor and bring people out to the
event. Please let me know if it would be ok to add y'all as a
co-sponsor and if you have any questions or need more information.
You can contact me at brooke at shout.net or at (217) 493-2637.

Thanks and take care,
Brooke Anderson
Brooke Anderson, Co-Coordinator