[Peace-discuss] Anti-Racism Working Group meeting

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Sun Oct 5 10:27:31 CDT 2003

The Anti-Racism Working Group will meet on Monday, Oct. 6th, 8 PM at
Al Kagan's place.  Here are some proposed topics that we might
discuss.  Please let me know if you are planning to come.

Anti-Racism Working Group
Some proposed topics for our meeting

Relation to AWARE
	How race trumps class
	Why blacks are majority anti-war but don't participate in
anti-war protests
	Why large numbers of blacks see through US propaganda
	How white culture interferes with black participation at
mostly white meetings
	How white culture may silence blacks at  mostly white meetings
	How whites share a view of the world that assumes status quo
is how it ought to be
	In contrast to other ethnic groups, how blacks are not assimilated
Organization vs. mobilization: why it may not be necessary have more
blacks come to our meetings, but rather to stimulate activity and
networking
Need to link anti-war effort to local black movements on the ground,
such as around schools
If war ended, is our work done?

2. NYC Open Letter (Sept. 26th e-mail from Sarah Knouse)
	Examples of practices witnessed in peace and justice activities

3. AWARE Action Plans
	Internal education
	Networking
		Schools
		Prisons
		Reparations
		Health care
	Proposed events and co-sponsorships
		Education or Incarceration Conference, Jan. 22-24, 2004
		Others?

--

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328