[Peace-discuss] A Billion and a Trillion

Lisa Chason chason at shout.net
Wed Oct 8 07:43:41 CDT 2003

MessageThe next time you hear a politician use the words "billion" casually, think about whether you want that politician spending your tax money:

-A billion seconds ago it was 1959.
-A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.
-A billion hours ago our ancestors were living in the Stone Age.
-A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate Washington spends it.

Then consider that the national debt is over 5 TRILLION DOLLARS. If we were to start paying down the debt (which of course would require a budget surplus and the political will to do so):

at $1,000 / sec it would take 159 YEARS
at $100 / sec it would take 1585 YEARS
at $1 / sec it would take over 158,500 YEARS