[Peace-discuss] VA closures as support for troops

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 14:40:36 CDT 2003

Thanks, Paul, for posting this-

I'm actually very familiar with the VA in Canandaigua
mentioned below, as I was their union rep for a couple
of years when we lived in Buffalo.  So I can tell you
unequivocally that this move comes on top of many
years of egregious abuses.  The place is very sad
already, half empty, and staffing is dangerously low
at almost all times even to cover the patients they do
let in.

Canandaigua is largely a mental hospital, where they
store old soldiers whose brains have been eaten out
doing as their trusted leaders told them.  And as in
the other VA's I've seen, the workers in Canandaigua,
most of whom are veterans themselves, are regularly
trounced as well as the patients.

Millions of Americans do not know this is how our
government really "honors the brave men and women,"
etc.  If they did, would they give up their romantic
notions of war and all its alleged glory?  Or would
they just have to change their "support our troops"
slogans to add on "until they get home."

Letters to the editor, anyone?
Ricky