[Peace-discuss] What Every Person Should Know About War

Linda Evans veganlinda at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 18 21:53:28 CDT 2003

We discussed Chris Hedges (author of 'War Is a Force
That Gives Us Meaning') several months ago on this
list.  I was wondering if anyone has read his more
recent book 'What Every Person Should Know About War'.
 It sounds like something the CO working group might
want check out.  It is apparently discusses issues
such as:

• What are my chances of being wounded or killed if we
go to war?

• What does it feel like to get shot?

• What do artillery shells do to you?

• What is the most painful way to get wounded?

• Will I be afraid?

• What could happen to me in a nuclear attack?

• What does it feel like to kill someone?

• Can I withstand torture?

• What are the long-term consequences of combat
stress?

• What will happen to my body after I die?

I'm not sure if I have the stomach for this one.

Linda

=====
"There are some things you need just to stay alive:  food, water, a place to live, clothes to keep warm, help when you are ill or injured... Peace is having the things you need."  (Peace Begins with You by Katherine Scholes, children's book)