[Peace-discuss] THIS VERIFIES NO FREEDOM EXISTS

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Fri Oct 31 10:42:47 CST 2003

U.S. Seals Off Saddam's Home Village
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 7:56 a.m. ET

UJA, Iraq (AP) -- American soldiers on Friday sealed off the village where
Saddam Hussein was born and ordered adults to register for identity cards that
will allow them to move in and out of the community.

The New York Times reported Friday that senior U.S. officials believe the
former Iraqi leader, who has been on the run since U.S. forces took over Baghdad
in April, is playing a major role in coordinating and directing attacks
against American troops.

``This is an effort to protect the majority of the population, the people who
want to get on with their lives,'' said Lt. Col. Steve Russell, a battalion
commander in the 4th Infantry Division.

Russell said he did not know whether Saddam was directing parts of the
insurgency, but the village is the family home of many former Baathist regime
members.

``There are ties leading to this village, to the funding and planning of
attacks against U.S. soldiers,'' Russell said.

The operation would provide ``controlled access'' to Uja, Russell said.

Starting around midnight Thursday, U.S. soldiers, Iraqi police and civil
defense forces moved into this small dusty village about six miles southeast of
Tikrit.

Soldiers erected a fence of barbed wire, stretched over wooden poles, and
laid spirals of concertina wire around the perimeter of the village. Local Iraqi
workmen were hired to help erect the fence.

Meanwhile, groups of soldiers were positioned in dugout holes at strategic
points surrounding the village and Bradley armored vehicles provided security.

The soldiers also established checkpoints on the road leading in and out of
this village of about 3,500 residents. All cars were stopped and searched and
people on the road were questioned about their identity.

The area around Tikrit, 120 miles north of Baghdad, is considered a hotbed of
resistance to coalition troops.

Everybody more than 18 years old would have to register with the coalition
forces and receive identity cards that will allow them to move in and out of the
village, U.S. officers said.

``There are a lot of peaceful people here but there are some who are stirring
up trouble in Uja,'' said Capt. Mark Staffler, from Harrisburg, Pa. ``We want
to help them make a better Iraq.''

By morning, dozens of men from Uja had lined up outside the local police
station, waiting to give personal information and have their picture taken for a
computer-made ID card.

The rest of Uja appeared calm. From the minaret of the village's modern
mosque came calls for the midday prayer.

Most of the villagers were from the al-Naseri clan and related to Saddam.

``We are not really afraid, but what choice do I have,'' said Ali Sherif
al-Naseri, who said he was a cousing of Saddam's. ``It may not be totally fair but
it's a good idea.''

The Uja chief of police, Ahmed Hamza al-Naseri, said the military operation
took him by surprise.

``I didn't know what was going on until I received a call in the middle of
the night,'' he said. ``This is all new to the people of Uja, they may be afraid
at first, but they will accept it.''

As an example to others, the police chief said he was first to get an ID card.