[Peace-discuss] FCC media ownership rules delayed by courts - thanks to Prometheus!

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Thu Sep 4 11:32:57 CDT 2003

FCC media ownership rules delayed
By Ira Teinowitz

 WASHINGTON — The Federal Communications Commission's new media
ownership rules were stayed indefinitely today by a three-judge panel of
the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals.

 In a three-page order, the court accepted the argument by consumer groups
that doing nothing while courts debate the merits of the FCC's changes
could create harm impossible to reverse. The petition was filed by the
Prometheus Radio Project. [Danielle's note: these are our buddies in
Philly who are helping us with our Low Power FM license]

he court action could put the new ownership rules on hold and keeps
current rules in effect pending further court action.

                                         The ruling represents a big win
for consumer groups that have filed several suits challenging the new
rules.

FCC 'disappointed'

An FCC spokesman in a statement tonight said: “While we are disappointed
by the decision by the court to stay the new rules, we will continue to
vigorously defend them and look forward to a decision by the court on the
merits."

The Prometheus Radio Project is represented by the Media Access Project ,
a group that has aggressively campaigned against the media ownership rule
changes.

'Great news'

 “I think this is great news,” said Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., who is
leading congressional efforts to implement a rarely used congressional
veto of the rules. “It stops the process dead in its tracks for now. I
think the court must have understood what we know -- the FCC embarked on
these dramatic rule changes without the benefit of national hearings and
thoughtful analysis."

This story originally appeared on AdAge.com.
- from e-mail from Bob McChesney, mediareform.net  -

In a surprise order yesterday, new FCC rule changes that would
dramatically alter the American media landscape were temporarily blocked
by a federal court. It's a big victory, and the timing couldn't be better.
With the rule changes on hold, we now have the opportunity to void them
for good -- before theyever take effect. But we need your help TODAY.

This is a call to action. The Senate Appropriations Committee is voting
today on whether to roll back theseFCC media ownership rules. We need to
keep Senate phones ringing off the hook.

If you are a resident of AL, CA, CO, IA, KY, LA, MD, MO, MS, NV, OH, PA,
WI, or WV, your Senator sits onthe Committee.

If you are from another state, please call Senator Reid, the only Democrat
on the Appropriations Committee who plans to vote against the rollback.
(Please call all of the committee members if you have time!)  Reid's
number: (202)224-3542.

Please forward this email to everyone you know.
Then go to http://www.mediareform.net/callcongress
----

The Bush Administration's FCC is on the defensive. Their attempts to
quietly relax media ownership rulesand unleash monopoly mega-media on our
TV, radio, and newspapers are meeting opposition in the courts and
in Congress.

Why? Because over 2.3 million Americans spoke up against anti-democratic
media rules and led a historiceffort to put media policy into the public
spotlight. The courts have now weighed in, recognizing that there may be
irreparable damage caused to our democracy by the new rules.  We must
continue to pressure Congress, and tell them that we are unwilling to let
a handful of massive conglomerates dominate our media. Thursday's vote
includes the crucial "cross-ownership" provision that prevents one
conglomerate from owning the major daily newspaper plus multiple TV and
radio stations in one town.

Take a moment to call. Background information and phone numbers are posted
atwww.mediareform.net/callcongress

What to say: "I am calling to urge the Senator to vote for a rollback of
the June 2nd FCC media ownership rules that includes the cross-ownership
rule. One company should not be allowed to own a newspaper, television
stations and radio stations all in the same community. Thank you for your
time."