[Peace-discuss] if you invade you must pay price

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Wed Sep 17 19:03:33 CDT 2003

and they are just figuring this out? talk about real idiots

Commander: GIs in Iraq Face Revenge Raids
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 5:35 a.m. ET

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- The commander of the U.S.-led coalition in Iraq said in
an interview published Wednesday that U.S. forces, already under pressure
from a guerrilla-style resistance, now face revenge attacks from ordinary Iraqis
angered by the occupation.

North of Baghdad, there were at least three separate attacks on U.S. forces
with roadside bombs in less than 1 1/2 hours Wednesday morning. Witnesses
reported injured soldiers, but details were unclear. The attacks hit U.S. Humvees
about 12 miles north of Baghdad near al-Taji.

While U.S. forces increasingly patrol Iraqi hotspots with American-trained
local militiamen, citizens voice growing anger with tactics that are seen as
heavy-handed and insensitive to Iraqi social and religious customs.

``We have seen that when we have an incident in the conduct of our
operations, when we killed an innocent civilian, based on their ethic, their values,
their culture, they would seek revenge,'' Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez was quoted as
telling The Times newspaper in London.

Coalition forces were seeking ``to ensure that when a mistake has been made
and when we have inadvertently wound up killing someone that we go and do the
right thing culturally to take care of those families.'' The Times' report did
not elaborate on those steps.

Sanchez's remarks came after the friendly fire killing late last week of
eight Iraqi policemen by American soldiers near Fallujah, 30 miles west of
Baghdad. The military and the U.S. administrator for Iraq, L. Paul Bremer, have
apologized.

Six people claiming to be Americans and two who say they are British are in
U.S. custody on suspicion of involvement in attacks on coalition forces, an
American general said Tuesday. They would be the first Westerners reported held
in the insurrection against the U.S.-led occupation.

Brig. Gen. Janis Karpinski, who is in charge of coalition detention centers
in Iraq, said they were considered security detainees, meaning they were
suspected of involvement in guerrilla attacks. She did not identify them but said
they were being interrogated by military intelligence in Baghdad.

``We actually do have six who are claiming to be Americans, two who are
claiming to be from the U.K. We're continuing the interviewing process. The details
become sketchy and their story changes,'' Karpinski said Tuesday.

She said there were ``several ... hundred third-country nationals in
custody.''

She declined to give more details on those being held.

``We're not trying to withhold information from you. Some information remains
classified for security reasons,'' Karpinski said during a tour of Abu Ghraib
prison, where Saddam Hussein once locked up his political opponents.

Asked about the detainees at a Pentagon news conference, Defense Secretary
Donald H. Rumsfeld said: ``The truth is that the folks that we've scooped up
have, on a number of occasions, multiple identifications from different
countries. They're quite skilled at confusing people as to what their real nationality
is or where they came from or what they're doing.''

The British government said it was investigating the claims.

``We are urgently following up the reports,'' a Foreign Office spokeswoman
said on condition of anonymity. She would not confirm whether the United States
had informed British officials of the arrests.

If Westerners are actively involved in the resistance, it would deepen
confusion about what groups are involved. Initially, the guerrilla fighters were
thought to be Saddam loyalists, but in recent weeks U.S. officials have said they
are being joined by foreign fighters, possibly al-Qaida members.

The revelation recalls the capture of John Walker Lindh in Afghanistan, where
the American fought alongside Taliban and al-Qaida fighters following the
Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.

Lindh was sentenced last year to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty to
supplying services to the Taliban militia, which ruled Afghanistan and was
ousted by a U.S.-led coalition.

In December 2001, British citizen Richard Reid, a member of al-Qaida, was
arrested after trying to light explosives hidden in his shoes on a Paris-to-Miami
flight. Reid pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life in prison.

American troops in Afghanistan also captured Yaser Esam Hamdi, who was flown
to the U.S. Navy base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and held there for several
months until it was discovered he was born in Baton Rouge, La. He was held in the
naval brig in Norfolk, Va., then transferred in late July to a jail at the
Charleston Naval Weapons Station in South Carolina.

At least nine Britons are being detained in Guantanamo, where some 660 men
from 42 countries are being held on suspicion of links to the Taliban or
al-Qaida. None of the men has been charged and some have been held for nearly two
years without access to lawyers.

Lt. Col. Pamela Hart, a spokeswoman for the mission in Guantanamo, said
Tuesday that none of the detainees being held there were captured in Iraq.

Rumsfeld Sees No Link Between Iraq, 9 / 11
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 9:11 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld said Tuesday he had
no reason to believe that Iraq's Saddam Hussein had a hand in the Sept. 11,
2001, terrorist attacks on the United States.

At a Pentagon news conference, Rumsfeld was asked about a poll that indicated
nearly 70 percent of respondents believed the Iraqi leader probably was
personally involved.

``I've not seen any indication that would lead me to believe that I could say
that,'' Rumsfeld said.

He added: ``We know he was giving $25,000 a family for anyone who would go
out and kill innocent men, women and children. And we know of various other
activities. But on that specific one, no, not to my knowledge.''

The Bush administration has asserted that Saddam's government had links to
al-Qaida, the terrorist network led by Osama bin Laden that masterminded the
Sept. 11 attacks. And in various public statements over the past year or so
administration officials have suggested close links.

Vice President Dick Cheney said on Sunday, for example, that success in
stabilizing and democratizing Iraq would strike a major blow at the ``the
geographic base of the terrorists who have had us under assault for many years, but
most especially on 9-11.''

And Tuesday, in an interview on ABC's ``Nightline,'' White House national
security adviser Condoleezza Rice said that one of the reasons President Bush
went to war against Saddam was because he posed a threat in ``a region from which
the 9-11 threat emerged.''

In an appearance on NBC's ``Meet the Press,'' Cheney was asked whether he was
surprised that more than two-thirds of Americans in the Washington Post poll
would express a belief that Iraq was behind the attacks.

``No, I think it's not surprising that people make that connection,'' he
replied.

Rice, asked about the same poll numbers, said, ``We have never claimed that
Saddam Hussein had either direction or control of 9-11.''

``What we have said,'' she added, ``is that this is someone who supported
terrorists, helped to train them, but most importantly that this is someone who,
with his animus toward the United States, with his penchant for and capability
to gain weapons of mass destruction, and his obvious willingness to use them,
was a threat in this region that we were not prepared to tolerate.''

Cheney said he recalled being asked about an Iraq connection to 9-11 shortly
after the attacks, and he recalled saying he knew of no evidence at that point.

``Subsequent to that, we have learned a couple of things,'' he said. ``We
learned more and more that there was a relationship between Iraq and al-Qaida
that stretched back through most of the decade of the '90s; that it involved
training, for example, on BW (biological warfare) and CW (chemical warfare) --
that al-Qaida sent personnel to Baghdad to get trained on the systems, and
involved the Iraqis providing bomb-making expertise and advice to the al-Qaida
organization.''

At his Pentagon news conference, Rumsfeld reiterated his belief that U.S. and
coalition forces in Iraq are making satisfactory progress in stabilizing the
country.

He said it was an ``open question'' whether the United States would get the
10,000 to 15,000 additional international troops it seeks to create a third
multinational division for security duty in Iraq. The Pentagon has been hopeful
of getting at least that many additional troops from Turkey, Pakistan or other
friendly countries to beef up security and possibly to allow some of the
130,000 U.S. troops there to go home next year.

``It would relieve some of the pressure on our forces,'' Rumsfeld said.
``Whether or not there will be a (United Nations) resolution and whether or not --
even if there were a resolution -- we would get that number of troops is an
open question.''

Rice acknowledged that if commitments for more troops are gained, it ``could
be months'' before they were in place.

Gen. Peter Pace, the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff who appeared
with Rumsfeld, said there are more than 210,000 coalition forces in Iraq:
130,000 American troops, 24,000 British and other international troops, and 60,000
Iraqi police, border guards and civil defense forces.