[Peace-discuss] Fair Trade coffee

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 14:47:20 CDT 2003

Hey Linda-

This is very interesting to me.  Any idea where a
curious person could read more about the failings of
'fair trade' stuff?

BTW, I think we should always be wary of consumerist
campaigns, in general.  They're by definition very
narrow.  I do think some of them are good, for
example, if a boycott or alternative product is tied
to a well-organized campaign to achieve a specific
end, trying to organize a union or get a company to
sign something or stop a particularly heinous
practice, etc.  And I think co-ops and such things are
helpful to small numbers of people.

But as long as you're playing checkers, your fancy
marbles won't count for much - if you see what I mean.

My two cents.
Ricky