[Peace-discuss] coffee

meghan krausch meghan_krausch at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 18 16:22:28 CDT 2003

i see i have ignited a debate. i have a knack of doing that. this makes me
think that the topic deserves a more detailed treatment than i was going to
give it in the public i.

i will not try to write a long, clearly reasoned response right now, but i
will say that 1) fair trade supports only cooperatives, which only disrupt
the business of small farmes in that they are already being totally and
completely exploited by the 4 companies that buy 70% (or so) of the world's
coffee. 2) people are growing coffee. indigenous people and otherwise. it's
not going to stop. fair trade is certainly not encouraging anyone to buy up
a ton of land and throw someone off of it... in fact, it will hopefully have
the effect of putting all of those landless, starving coffee pickers back to
work, since right now, with the price of coffee actually below the cost of
growing it, it is being allowed to rot on the plant. being anti-capitalist
is all good and well with food in your mouth, but with no food and no
skills, a well-organized, well-funded coop might just be the solution.

i have to clarify that in general i am against the liberal/consumerist
schemes, but after visiting with coffee farmers who are enjoying the
benefits of fair trade and those who are not, and looking at the facts, my
mind was made up. the coop that i visited was run by and for Nicaraguan
farmers. they are always actively looking to get new members. yes, it can be
problematic, but so can unions. that doesn't stop me from supporting
union-made goods over others. the fact is, we live in a capitalist society
and we all buy stuff. yes, cutting down on your consumerism is good. but
while you are buying coffee anyway, i think making it fair trade (where
$1.20 a pound was paid to a coop instead of $.50 to a coyote) is a good
idea.

fyi: fair trade problems include: not certifying domestic products because
we ostensibly already have a minimum wage (but ask a migrant worker about
it, please) and the dominance of American certification companies. also for
a small business, the cost of certification can be high especially with the
cost of organic certification (and sadly, many more people seem to care
about that).

simply put: the best way to obtain anything is to grow/make it yourself, or
buy it from someone you know personally for a fair price. but if you can't
do that...

my more than 2 cents,
meghan

http://www.witnessforpeace.org/nicaragua/coffee.html