[Peace-discuss] co-sponsor the Immigrant Workers Freedom Ride

Linda Evans veganlinda at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 21 20:11:05 CDT 2003

Hey all,

This was waiting for me when I got home from the AWARE
meetings and it was mentioned in our 3-5pm meeting
tonight.

What does everyone think?  You can email the list or
me personally at veganlinda at yahoo.com.

Linda

September 21, 2003

Dear Linda,

My Name is Demian Kogan, and I am a student at the
University of
Illinois.  I
am contacting you about an opportunity for your
organization to
co-sponsor the
Immigrant Workers Freedom Ride stop in
Champaign-Urbana.

Beginning on September 20th, nearly one thousand
immigrant workers and
their
allies will board buses in Seattle, Portland, San
Francisco, Los
Angeles, Las
Vegas, Minneapolis, Chicago, Houston, Miami and Boston
and cross the
United
States over the next 12 days. The new Freedom Riders
will travel some
20,000
miles of U.S. highways and stop at more than 100
cities, towns and
workplaces.

The Immigrant Workers Freedom Ride from Illinois will
be leaving from
Chicago
on Saturday August 26th, and will travel through
Northern, Central, and
Southern Illinois making stops in 9 cities with an
array of events
including
rallies, press conferences, direct actions, and other
activities.  One
of the
cities that the bus will be stopping at will be
Champaign.

The group that is organizing the bus from Illinois is
called the
Illinois
Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights (ICIRR).
Myself and two
other
students Lian Alan, and Diana Mora, have been working
closely with
ICIRR on
this campaign, and we are responsible for a large part
of the planning
process
for the Champaign-Urbana Freedom Ride stop. The riders
will be here on
September 29th and 30th.  We are planning a rally at
the Champaign
County
Courthouse in Urbana at 101 E. Main Street, for the
evening of the 29th
at
7:00pm. We have invited local politicians, community
members, and
students to
rally behind this event.

The events have local and national relevance as
immigrants work for:
-- Driver Licenses
-- Hospital Interpreter Services
-- Access to Higher Education
-- Legalization for Immigrants
-- Workers Rights
-- An End to Special Registration Programs

We are hoping to get a great turnout for the big
public event, the
Rally on
the 29th, and we thought that your organization would
be interested in
co-sponsoring this event.  Co-sponsorship entails
publicizing the event
your members, and committing to bring people out to
the rally on the
29th. If
you'd like to make a financial contribution of any
amount, it would be
greatly
appreciated.  I have included a copy of the email
announcement for you
distribute to your email list below.

Please contact me at dakogan at uiuc.edu  or 384-0196 if
you have any
questions.
You can also reach Lian at lianalan at uiuc.edu, or Diana
at
mora at uiuc.edu.
Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to
hearing from you.
I have
included some links that you may be interested in
looking at for more
information.

Immigrant Worker Freedom Rides national website:
www.iwfr.org
Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights
website:
www.icirr.org
New York Times article about the national campaign:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/17/national/17IMMI.html

Sincerely,

Demian Kogan

RALLY for IMMIGRANT RIGHTS!
Immigrant Worker Freedom Rides Rally

Monday, September 29th 7:00p.m.

Champaign County Courthouse
101 E. Main Street, Urbana, IL 61801

Immigrants in our community need:
-- Driver Licenses
-- Hospital Interpreter Services
-- Access to Higher Education
-- Legalization for Immigrants
-- Workers Rights
-- An End to Special Registration Programs

Beginning on September 20th, nearly one thousand
immigrant workers and
their
allies will board buses in Seattle, Portland, San
Francisco, Los
Angeles, Las
Vegas, Minneapolis, Chicago, Houston, Miami and Boston
and cross the
United
States over the next 12 days. The new Freedom Riders
will travel some
20,000
miles of U.S. highways and stop at more than 100
cities, towns and
workplaces
to focus public attention on the injustices of current
immigration
policies.

The Illinois Freedom Rides bus is coming to
Champaign-Urbana to
highlight the
local movement for immigrant rights ! You have a
tremendous opportunity
take part in history in the making by attending the
Immigrant Worker
Freedom
Rides Rally in  Urbana-Champaign! Speakers will
include: Immigrant
Freedom
Riders, Local Immigrant Rights Speakers, and Local
Politicians.

The event is inspired by the Freedom Rides of the
Civil Rights
Movement, and
the Illinois Immigrant Workers Freedom Ride bus will
travel through
Northern,
Central, and Southern Il, while buses leave from 9
other cities across
the
entire United States. The buses will then go to
Washington D.C. to meet
with
local representatives, and then culminate in New York
City to celebrate
the
rewriting of history.  Don’t miss this opportunity to
locally take part
in
this national campaign for immigration policy reform.

Sponsored by:  Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and
Refugee rights
(ICIRR),
East Central Illinois Refugee and Mutual Assistance
Center (ECIRMAC),
and
Champaign County Health Care Consumers (CCHCC).

For more information, or to volunteer or donate,
contact:

Demian Kogan: dakogan at uiuc.edu

Immigrant Worker Freedom Rides national website:
www.iwfr.org
Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights
website:
www.icirr.org

=====
"There are some things you need just to stay alive:  food, water, a place to live, clothes to keep warm, help when you are ill or injured... Peace is having the things you need."  (Peace Begins with You by Katherine Scholes, children's book)