[Peace-discuss] why support the Immigrant Workers Freedom Ride

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 16:08:12 CDT 2003

Thanks for posting that, Carl-

I’m not sure how you meant it, but I think it shows
what we’re up against in the labor movement and in a
way progressive politics generally.  Of course we have
no way of knowing what the actual debate was like in
this particular union local, but the stated position
of the winning side – not supporting the rights of
immigrant workers because the big unions haven’t done
enough to support citizen workers - is both naïve and
dangerously cynical.  It’s also a good example of the
deep divisions within the labor movement.  The old
guard must now always dress up their conservatism in
progressive language – because grassroots reformers
have taken the moral high ground so effectively – but
this is still a backlash.  (Expect more of it as the
economy worsens.)

This letter reminds me of the argument made at one
central labor council (Philadelphia, I think) against
passing an anti-war resolution in the months before
the US invasion of Iraq when hundreds of unions were
doing just that.  Someone said: we didn’t speak up
against previous acts of US imperialism in Vietnam,
Panama, Haiti, etc. so we shouldn’t do it now.  (The
Council did pass the resolution, by the way.)

Maybe we shouldn’t support the rights of working women
because our unions haven’t done enough to support
working men?  (Don’t laugh.  This argument actually
still has some currency with some angry white men I’ve
worked with.)

Maybe black workers don’t deserve our support until
the unions do more for white workers?  (Variants of
this argument have appeared among white workers from
the American Civil War right through the New Deal and
into the 1960s, 70s and 80s.)

Maybe the skilled shouldn’t support the rights of the
unskilled?  (That’s the original AFL policy.)

For decades, the AFL-CIO and most American unions
pushed an anti-immigrant agenda.  California growers
were even able to call in Teamsters at one point not
too long ago to beat up organizers and picketers with
the United Farm Workers.  They have gradually reversed
course only in the last few years, under intense
pressure from increasingly Latino and Asian
memberships and in the wake of plummeting strength in
almost all sectors of the economy.

So the concern expressed for immigrant workers
expressed here is not touching, buried as it is in a
statement of reasons for refusing to support them.
Such doublespeak is worthy of management.

But the worst part may be the incredible
short-sightedness of this activist pose.  It is a
suicidal strategy for labor.  It encourages the same
kind of knee-jerk reaction, dressed up as it may be in
more enlightened rhetoric, that has led generations of
striking workers to use violence to discourage scabs,
or replacement workers – instead of organizing them,
as some have done.  The logic is not rocket science,
as they say.  Whenever workers win even marginally
significant victories, the bosses turn to more
desperate workers (new immigrants, Southern blacks,
children in Indonesia, etc.).  But if those workers in
turn organize, they can work together to corner the
boss.  It’s one kind of what’s called “whipsawing.”
But if the two groups of workers instead choose to
battle it out over what crumbs the boss lets fall from
his table, they both lose.  American labor history
gives us many examples of workers who took each path,
and the results have not been too surprising.

One of the best examples may be in the UAW’s initial
refusal to help Mexican autoworkers organize
independent unions.  American-based automobile
manufacturers, with the help of the US and Mexican
governments, crushed the Mexican workers, took the
American jobs, and laughed all the way to the bank.
(The UAW has now largely realized it’s mistake, and is
supporting independent unions in Mexico and
elsewhere.)

This letter also seems to expect a more militant
stance from ‘big labor’.  But at the same time, it
betrays a lack of understanding of the basics of the
scrappy solidarity that is undoubtedly labor’s best
side.  The Immigrant Workers Freedom Ride is not only
aptly named, representing as it does the struggle of a
growing underclass of workers doing the jobs and
taking the abuse that black workers in the rural South
once did (and sometimes still do).

(As an aside, I’d note one parallel: the tomato
pickers’ call for a national boycott of Taco Bell
brought national attention to almost antebellum
conditions in the fields – with the effect that some
growers have now been convicted on federal charges of
human slavery.  Many farmworker camps in Florida have
also been found to serve as virtual prison camps for
undocumented workers, where they are closed in behind
locked gates at night or under armed guard to prevent
escape.  And, no, I’m not kidding.  This, in all
actuality, is the effect of NOT supporting such
campaigns for these workers’ rights, not to mention
the effect on the precariousness of other workers’
positions.  In Sweden, labor unions recognize that if
they bargain to improve the conditions of the lowest
workers, then that becomes a level below which the
more privileged cannot fall.  Enlightened
self-interest, they used to call it.)

But this event is also a means of building coalitions
– like the hotel workers strike going on right now in
downtown Chicago – and making allies that can stand
together for a broader agenda to benefit all workers.

I am deeply saddened by the prevalence of the
tetrograde sentiments expressed in this letter.  I
also fear the consequences, but I take heart when I
see the shop-floor agitation and grassroots
coalition-building that is making inroads into ‘big
labor’, like the Immigrant Workers Freedom Ride.
Their bravery, patience and persistence is a model for
us all.

If anybody has made it this far, I hope to see you at
the rally on Monday.

Si se puede-
Ricky

--- "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu>