[Peace-discuss] Support HR 1258

Neil Parthun parthun at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 1 23:05:42 CST 2004

[I got this from School of the Americas Watch and thought it
was worth forwarding. If you're familiar with SOA/WHISC, you
know why it's a huge foreign policy error on our part and
needs to be shut down.  If not, check out www.soaw.org or my
site which is in my e-mail signature -- Neil]

You can find the local district office number by entering
your zip code at http://www.Congress.org or by calling the
capitol switch board at 202-224-3121 and ask for the home
office number for your representative.

Since members will be in their home office next week, they
will return home to find phone messages from constituents
telling them to work for human rights and sponsor HR 1258.
Members need to know what we know, the atrocities continue
and the SOA/WHISC continues to train known human rights
abusers like Col. Francisco del Cid Diaz, who received
SOA/WHISC trained in 2003 after a well known massacre where
he ordered the execution of 16 residents from the Los Hojas
cooperative in El Salvador.

Momentum is growing quickly around HR 1258. In fact,
hundreds of people traveled from around the country to DC
this week to have targeted visits with their members of
Congress on this human rights issue. Member's offices have
been flooded with your calls, e-mails and faxes about HR
1258 over the past week.

Already because of our concerted legislative campaign seven
more representatives have signed on to HR 1258 including
four influential members of the Congressional Black Caucus
(names and states below), raising the total number of
congressional co-sponsors to 119!

E-mail and fax your members office with the message Sponsor
HR 1258, the bill to close the SOA/WHISC. You can find their
fax and e-mail by entering your zip code at
http://www.Congress.org

The following Representatives have signed on because of your
work this week: Representative Tim Ryan from Ohio,
Representative Joseph Crowley from New York, Representative
Nydia Velazquez from New York, Representative John Lewis
from Georgia, Representative Donald M. Payne from New
Jersey, Representative John Conyers Jr. Michigan,
Representative William J. Jefferson from Louisiana.

Stand Up and Keep Fighting,
Neil

OoOoOo...
The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naive and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.
[HL Mencken]

People with 'lives' scare me. They spend more than they can afford on clothes. They have a lot of friends who they don't really like. They order five dollar coffees with Italian names and a spritz of something. Their 'lives' tend to end at 30. No thanks. I think I shall remain a geek. I'll immerse myself in deep conversations with true friends, take pleasure in beauty, fight for social justice and try to unravel the mysteries of the universe. It's good to be a geek.
[Hamish Copley]

Neil Parthun || parthun at uiuc.edu || cell: 217.953.1132 || http://smash_the_right_wing.tripod.com