[Peace-discuss] DU CASUALTIES

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Sun Apr 4 17:29:25 CDT 2004

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com Poisoned?
By JUAN GONZALEZ
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Saturday, April 3rd, 2004

Four soldiers from a New York Army National Guard company serving in Iraq are
contaminated with radiation likely caused by dust from depleted uranium
shells fired by U.S. troops, a Daily News investigation has found.
They are among several members of the same company, the 442nd Military
Police, who say they have been battling persistent physical ailments that began last
summer in the Iraqi town of Samawah.
"I got sick instantly in June," said Staff Sgt. Ray Ramos, a Brooklyn housing
cop. "My health kept going downhill with daily headaches, constant numbness
in my hands and rashes on my stomach."
A nuclear medicine expert who examined and tested nine soldiers from the
company says that four "almost certainly" inhaled radioactive dust from exploded
American shells manufactured with depleted uranium.
Laboratory tests conducted at the request of The News revealed traces of two
manmade forms of uranium in urine samples from four of the soldiers.
If so, the men - Sgt. Hector Vega, Sgt. Ray Ramos, Sgt. Agustin Matos and
Cpl. Anthony Yonnone - are the first confirmed cases of inhaled depleted uranium
exposure from the current Iraq conflict.
The 442nd, made up for the most part of New York cops, firefighters and
correction officers, is based in Orangeburg, Rockland County. Dispatched to Iraq
last Easter, the unit's members have been providing guard duty for convoys,
running jails and training Iraqi police. The entire company is due to return home
later this month.
"These are amazing results, especially since these soldiers were military
police not exposed to the heat of battle," said Dr. Asaf Duracovic, who examined
the G.I.s and performed the testing that was funded by The News.
"Other American soldiers who were in combat must have more depleted uranium
exposure," said Duracovic, a colonel in the Army Reserves who served in the
1991 Persian Gulf War.
While working at a military hospital in Delaware, he was one of the first
doctors to discover unusual radiation levels in Gulf War veterans. He has since
become a leading critic of the use of depleted uranium in warfare.
Depleted uranium, a waste product of the uranium enrichment process, has been
used by the U.S. and British military for more than 15 years in some
artillery shells and as armor plating for tanks. It is twice as heavy as lead.
Because of its density, "It is the superior heavy metal for armor to protect
tanks and to penetrate armor," Pentagon spokesman Michael Kilpatrick said.
The Army and Air Force fired at least 127 tons of depleted uranium shells in
Iraq last year, Kilpatrick said. No figures have yet been released for how
much the Marines fired.
Kilpatrick said about 1,000 G.I.s back from the war have been tested by the
Pentagon for depleted uranium and only three have come up positive - all as a
result of shrapnel from DU shells.
But the test results for the New York guardsmen - four of nine positives for
DU - suggest the potential for more extensive radiation exposure among
coalition troops and Iraqi civilians.
Several Army studies in recent years have concluded that the low-level
radiation emitted when shells containing DU explode poses no significant dangers.
But some independent scientists and a few of the ­Army's own reports indicate
otherwise.
As a result, depleted uranium weapons have sparked increasing controversy
around the world. In January 2003, the ­European Parliament called for a
moratorium on their use after reports of an unusual number of leukemia deaths among
Italian soldiers who served in Kosovo, where DU weapons were used.
I keep getting weaker. What is happening to me?
The Army says that only soldiers wounded by depleted uranium shrapnel or who
are inside tanks during an explosion face measurable radiation exposure.
But as far back as 1979, Leonard Dietz, a physicist at the Knolls Atomic
Power Laboratory upstate, discovered that DU-contaminated dust could travel for
long distances.
Dietz, who pioneered the technology to isolate uranium isotopes, accidentally
discovered that air filters with which he was experimenting had collected
radioactive dust from a National Lead Industries Plant that was producing DU 26
miles away. His discovery led to a shutdown of the plant.
"The contamination was so heavy that they had to remove the topsoil from 52
properties around the plant," Dietz said.
All humans have at least tiny amounts of natural uranium in their bodies
because it is found in water and in the food supply, Dietz said. But natural
uranium is quickly and harmlessly excreted by the body.
Uranium oxide dust, which lodges in the lungs once inhaled and is not very
soluble, can emit radiation to the body for years.
"Anybody, civilian or soldier, who breathes these particles has a permanent
dose, and it's not going to decrease very much over time," said Dietz, who
retired in 1983 after 33 years as nuclear physicist. "In the long run ... veterans
exposed to ceramic uranium oxide have a major problem."
Critics of DU have noted that the Army's view of its dangers has changed over
time.
Before the 1991 Persian Gulf War, a 1990 Army report noted that depleted
uranium is "linked to cancer when exposures are internal, [and] chemical toxicity
causing kidney damage."
It was during the Gulf War that U.S. A-10 Warthog "tank buster" planes and
Abrams tanks first used DU artillery on a mass scale. The Pentagon says it fired
about 320 tons of DU in that war and that smaller amounts were also used in
the Serbian province of Kosovo.
In the Gulf War, Army brass did not warn soldiers about any risks from
exploding DU shells. An unknown number of G.I.s were exposed by shrapnel, inhalation
or handling battlefield debris.
Some veterans groups blame DU contamination as a factor in Gulf War syndrome,
the term for a host of ailments that afflicted thousands of vets from that
war.
Under pressure from veterans groups, the Pentagon commissioned several new
studies. One of those, published in 2000, concluded that DU, as a heavy metal,
"could pose a chemical hazard" but that Gulf War veterans "did not experience
intakes high enough to affect their health."
Pentagon spokesman Michael Kilpatrick said Army followup studies of 70
DU-contaminated Gulf War veterans have not shown serious health effects.
"For any heavy metal, there is no such thing as safe," Kilpatrick said.
"There is an issue of chemical toxicity, and for DU it is raised as radiological
toxicity as well."
But he said "the overwhelming conclusion" from studies of those who work with
uranium "show it has not produced any increase in cancers."
Several European studies, however, have linked DU to chromosome damage and
birth defects in mice. Many scientists say we still don't know enough about the
long-range effects of low-level radiation on the body to say any amount is
safe.
Britain's national science academy, the Royal Society, has called for
identifying where DU was used and is urging a cleanup of all contaminated areas.
"A large number of American soldiers [in Iraq] may have had significant
exposure to uranium oxide dust," said Dr. Thomas Fasey, a pathologist at Mount
Sinai Medical Center and an expert on depleted uranium. "And the health impact is
worrisome for the future."
As for the soldiers of the 442nd, they're sick, frustrated and confused. They
say when they arrived in Iraq no one warned them about depleted uranium and
no one gave them dust masks.
Experts behind News probe
As part of the investigation by the Daily News, Dr. Asaf Duracovic, a nuclear
medicine expert who has conducted extensive research on depleted uranium,
examined the nine soldiers from the 442nd Military Police in late December and
collected urine specimens from each.
Another member of his team, Prof. Axel Gerdes, a geologist at Goethe
University in Frankfurt who specializes in analyzing uranium isotopes, performed
repeated tests on the samples over a week-long ­period. He used a state-of-the art
procedure called multiple collector inductively coupled plasma-mass
spectrometry.
Only about 100 laboratories worldwide have the same capability to identify
and measure various uranium isotopes in minute quantities, Gerdes said.
Gerdes concluded that four of the men had depleted uranium in their bodies.
Depleted uranium, which does not occur in nature, is created as a waste product
of uranium enrichment when some of the highly radioactive isotopes in natural
uranium, U-235 and U-234, are extracted.
Several of the men, according to Duracovic, also had minute traces of another
uranium isotope, U-236, that is produced only in a nuclear reaction process.
"These men were almost certainly exposed to radioactive weapons on the
battlefield," Duracovic said.
He and Gerdes plan to issue a scientific paper on their study of the soldiers
at the annual meeting of the European Association of Nuclear Medicine in
Finland this year.
When DU shells explode, they permanently contaminate their target and the
area immediately around it with low-level radioactivity.

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com Soldiers demand to know
health risks
By JUAN GONZALEZ
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Saturday, April 3rd, 2004

Doctors at Walter Reed Army Medical Center recently told Staff Sgt. Ray Ramos
that a biopsy revealed his rash comes from leishmaniasis, a disease spread by
sandflies and contracted by hundreds of G.I.s in Iraq.
Until last week, however, Army doctors refused requests by Ramos and a few
others in the 442nd Military Police to have their urine analyzed for depleted
uranium, a procedure that can cost up to $1,000.
Three of the nine tested in the Daily News investigation - Sgt. Herbert Reed,
Spec. William Ruiz, and Spec. Anthony Phillip - also were tested by the Army
in November. But the results were withheld for months despite repeated
inquiries.
Last week, after Army officials received press inquiries about the 442nd and
discovered that a group from the company had sought independent testing, an
administrator at Walter Reed told Reed and Phillip that their tests from
November had come back negative for depleted uranium.
The News' tests also showed negative results for Reed and Phillip, but Ramos
tested positive. The soldiers of the 442nd are not the only ones to raise
questions about depleted uranium in Samawah.
In August, a contingent of Dutch soldiers arrived in the town to replace the
Americans. Press reports in the Netherlands revealed that Dutch authorities
questioned the U.S. beforehand about the possible use of DU ammunition in
Samawah. According to Sgt. Juan Vega, senior medic for the 442nd, the Dutch swept
the area around the train depot with Geiger counters and their medics confided
to him they had found high radiation levels. The Dutch unit refused to stay in
the depot, Vega said, and pitched camp in the desert instead.
And in February, after Japanese troops moved into the same town, a Japanese
journalist equipped with a Geiger counter reported finding radiation readings
300 times higher than background levels.
"There'd been a lot of fighting in Samawah before we got there," said Staff
Sgt. Ray Ramos, 41. "The place was dusty as hell, and the sandstorms were
hitting us pretty good."
Felled at first by what he thought was the sweltering Iraqi heat, Ramos
expected to recover quickly.
"My health just kept getting worse," he said. "I tried to work out each day
to get through it but I kept getting weaker. A numbing sensation hit my hands
and my face, and the migraine headaches became constant. I was afraid I was
having a stroke."
He was sent first to a Baghdad hospital for treatment, but with no
neurologist available, he was shipped out to Germany and eventually to the U.S.
"I had rashes on my stomach for four months," Ramos said. "And now, whenever
I [lie] down, my hands fall asleep."
Doctors at Walter Reed have been stumped. They've given Ramos braces to wear
on his arms at night to try to prevent his hands from falling asleep, and
they've prescribed a host of muscle relaxants and painkillers, but nothing seems
to work.
"I have four kids. What happens to them now if I can't work?" said Ramos, who
was looking forward to a transfer from the NYPD Housing Bureau to the robbery
unit in Brooklyn's 75th Precinct once he returns from active duty. "I need
them to investigate what's going on with my body."
Cpl. Anthony Yonnone, 35, a cop with the Veterans Administration in Fishkill,
N.Y., has the highest DU levels of the four soldiers who tested positive,
said Dr. Asaf Duracovic, who performed the testing funded by The News.
Yonnone said his nausea, skin rashes and migraines began in Samawah. "The
headaches are constant and they don't want to stop," he said. "The rashes seem to
come and go.
"We were always passing blownout tanks when we were out doing patrols."
He recalled that American units in the town burned trash and waste each night
in big drums near the train depot. "The combination of smoke and sand when we
lit those fires covered everybody," he said.
Evacuated from Iraq in August for minor surgery, Yonnone was sent first to
Germany.
"They gave us a questionnaire. I marked that I wasn't exposed to depleted
uranium because nobody had even told us what it was back in Iraq," he said.
New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com Inside camp of troubles
By JUAN GONZALEZ
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
Saturday, April 3rd, 2004

The soldiers of the 442nd Military Police never heard of depleted uranium
before they went to Iraq.
They know only that inexplicable ailments have befallen them.
Last year, more than a dozen of the company's soldiers were transferred back
to Fort Dix for treatment of a variety of maladies. Frustrated with how the
military was handling their concerns, they gave extensive interviews to the
Daily News about their experiences, and nine of them eventually volunteered to be
tested by a team of experts headed by Dr. Asaf Duracovic.
According to the soldiers, most of them became sick last summer while
stationed in ­Samawah, a town 150 miles south of Baghdad that was the scene of heavy
combat in the first weeks of the war.
Their unit entered the town in June, following short stays in Diwaniyah,
Karbala and ­Najaf. They pitched camp at a huge, dusty, vermin-infested train
depot on the outskirts of town.
That's where, they claim, their problems began.
"One night, I had 10 or 15 people with temperatures over 103, unexplained
night chills, all kinds of things," said Sgt. Juan Vega, the company's principal
medic. About a dozen of the 160 soldiers in the company suddenly developed
kidney stones, he said.
A 1990 Army study linked DU, to "chemical toxicity causing kidney damage."
"I told our commander, 'We need to get the hell out of this place, there's
something wrong with it,'" said Vega, 34, an FDNY paramedic.
The soldiers recall that two Iraqi tanks, one all shot up, had been hauled
onto flatbed railroad cars less than 100 yards from where the company slept.
Pentagon officials have confirmed that tanks hit by DU shells are the biggest
potential sources of battlefield radioactivity because when DU penetrators
hit a target and explode, a fine aerosol of uranium oxide, or radioactive dust,
is formed. The closer the tanks are to people, the greater the danger of
inhaling the dust.
In addition, a UN environmental report on Iraq warned last year of a "high
risk of inhaling DU dust" within 150 meters of any target hit by DU shells
"unless high-quality dust masks are worn." The soldiers never received dust masks.