[Peace-discuss] angry with the News-Gazette

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 5 15:32:51 CDT 2004

[As this incident points out, I think AWARE needs an on-going "PR Working
Group" or "Press Secretariat" to develop personal relations with the local
print and electronic media and keep on them about coverage of important
events like this -- perhaps an agenda item for next week, and a
solicitation for committee members are in order. Also, here's a note from
the new editor of The Paper to contributors.  --CGE]

Hi Everybody,

Most of you I know, some I have not yet met.  Some of you have written for
The Paper in the past (or are interested in doing so), others are folks
who I feel have a decent sense of what goes on in our community.

As the newly-crowned News Editor of The Paper, among my plans is to craft
a periodic (hopefully weekly) news blotter of sorts of stories, issues,
etc relevant to our community.  These will be short blurbs for the sake of
keeping people up on goings-on, and will also function as a possible
springboard for future coverage of a more in-depth variety.

I am turning to you fine folks to assist in this endeavor.  If you hear of
community news which you think is important, please drop me a line.
These could be issues involving the local school boards, planning
comissions, city councils, labor practices, basically anything related to
our quality of life in Champaign-Urbana.

If you are further inclined to write short 50-100 word blurbs to that
effect to be included in the blotter, even better.  Also, if you know
other people who might be interested in sending us ideas, please forward
this message to them and have them contact me.

I will likely send out weekly queries, as a reminder, to assist in this
project.

Thanks for your patience.  If you wish to not receive these emails in the
future, do not hesitate to ask to be removed from the list.  I won't hold
it against you and it will not go down on your permanent record.

I look forward to hearing from you.

best, Edward Burch

Edward Burch (News Editor, Music Editor) THE PAPER 1101 North Highcross
Road Urbana, IL 61802 217.337.3901 [p] 309.216.9349 [f]
http://www.thepaperthewebsite.com edwardthepaper at yahoo.com NOTE: PLEASE
SEND LARGE ATTACHMENTS TO THE ADDRESS BELOW: edward at emailthepaper.com