[Peace-discuss] Washington Times: U. S. forces will move into Pakistan

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 6 12:18:30 CDT 2004

Envoy: U.S. forces will move into Pakistan

WASHINGTON, April 6 (UPI) -- U.S.-led forces in Afghanistan will move into
Pakistani territory and destroy terrorist sanctuaries if Pakistan fails to
do the job, warns the U.S. envoy in Kabul.

Pakistan has already rejected the suggestion, saying that it will never
allow any foreign troops to enter its territory.

But U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad, who is also the special presidential
envoy in Kabul, said the U.S. administration had already informed "the
Pakistani leadership that either they must solve this problem or we will
have to do it for ourselves."

"We prefer that Pakistan takes responsibility, and the Pakistani government
agrees," Khalizad said. "However, one way or the other, this problem will
have to be dealt with."

But Pakistan's Information Minister Shaikh Rashid disagreed. "We have a
clear policy. We will never allow any foreign troops to enter into the
country for any kind of operation," he said.

Pakistan had reacted equally angrily to a suggestion by Khalilzad late last
month that Pakistani authorities were allowing Taliban and al-Qaida suspects
to move freely in their country.

On March 16, Pakistan launched a major operation against al-Qaida suspects
but called it off two weeks later after more than 100 people, including 43
Pakistani troops, were killed.