[Peace-discuss] The way out

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 12 20:09:18 CDT 2004

Tom Andrews, Former Congressman/ Member House Armed Services Committee
Available for Interviews/ Bookings
Win Without War Proposes Emergency International Summit & Transfer of
Management Authority to UN
Calls for End to US Military Occupation of Iraq
No Resolution in Iraq Possible as Long as US Retains Political Control

WASHINGTON - April 9 - Win Without War called today for an end to the US
led military occupation of Iraq and for the United States to seek an
immediate transfer of authority to the United Nations to oversee the
transition to Iraqi self-rule. The mainstream coalition of 42 national
organizations called for the convening of an emergency session of the UN
Security Council and an international summit on Iraq.

Our nation is in a death-spiral in Iraq that continues to be fueled by a
stunning degree of arrogance and ignorance by our government, said Win
Without War National Director Tom Andrews. From insulting our allies,
dismissing the United Nations, declaring Mission Accomplished last May,
goading Iraqi insurgents to Bring em on! to shutting down a Baghdad
newspaper ten days ago, it is clear that this government hasnt a clue and
that is has become a dangerous impediment to resolving the tragedy in
Iraq.

There is no military solution in Iraq because we have lost legitimacy in
the minds of Iraqis who perceive us as occupiers who plan to hand
authority to a government we control and that will serve our interests,
Andrews said. Our reliance on fire power simply pours gasoline onto a
raging fire.

We are in a dangerous hole in Iraq and the first principle when you find
yourself in a hole is to stop digging. The risk of civil war is growing,
and it will intensify as the chaos deepens. The longer the US remains and
attempts to impose its will by military force, the greater the danger that
the situation will spin completely out of control, said Robert Edgar, Win
Without War Co-Chair and General Secretary of the National Council of
Churches.

Win Without War called on the US to ask the UN to immediately convene an
emergency session of the Security Council to increase its authority and
address the immediate crises while setting a date for an international
conference on Iraq. The international conference would include nations who
opposed the US led invasion, following the model of the December 2001
Berlin conference that provided international support for the transition
in Afghanistan. Germany, France and Russia have called on the UN to
convene such an international conference.

A recent report by the International Crisis Group argued that ultimate
oversight responsibility for the political/constitutional process should
be given to the UN . . . Such a transfer of responsibility from the
Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) to the UN is required to endow both
the governance and the constitutional processes with the necessary
domestic and international legitimacy.

Win Without War argued that the involvement of the UN would also provide
valuable technical expertise.

The UN has considerable experience in nation building and post-conflict
political transitionsin Cambodia, Mozambique, Namibia, and East Timorand
it has played a key role in creating and assisting the transitional
authority in Afghanistan. The UNs knowledge of electoral and political
transitions in war-torn countries could be helpful to Iraqi officials. The
support of the UN will also ease the suspicions of those in the region and
beyond who believe that the United States intends to dominate a future
Iraqi government, said Susan Shaer, Co-Chair of Win Without War and
Executive Director of Womens Action for New Directions (WAND.)

Taking these steps does not mean abandoning American responsibilities,
said Robert Edgar. As the occupying power the United States is bound by
international law to guarantee the security and well being of the Iraqi
people. The US will remain responsible for helping to finance humanitarian
relief and economic reconstruction. Substantial US economic assistance
will be necessary to facilitate Iraqs economic recovery. These obligations
will continue even after the transition process is complete and a fully
representative elected government is established, he said.

###