[Peace-discuss] topic of conversation

Regina Cassidy rcassidy at parkland.edu
Tue Apr 13 19:19:19 CDT 2004

I do not care for the term "self-satisfied" here. It smacks of sneering.

Do peace protesters feel "self-satisfied" if our protests make
Republicans get out the vote?  How about if our protests make our enemy
think we Americans are weak and divisive?

Why do we check our consciences at the polling place?

Kerry is a hawk.  Is AWARE anti-Bush or anti-war?

Gina

>>> Morton K.Brussel <brussel4 at insightbb.com> 04/13/04 6:03 PM >>>
Despite our dismay and anger at the statements emanating from Kerry, we
should not get sidetracked.

I guess I would go along with with Ricky's  propositions--raise hell,
criticize Kerry et al. AND Bush et al, exert pressure however we
can)--, but I believe it to be nonetheless absolutely essential that
the Bush junta be booted from office.

If, as a result of criticism of the two parties and their candidates,
some felt vindicated in not voting for either in problematic contests,
and that resulted in a Bush-Republican victory, then I would say that
our efforts will have been self defeating, with long range, possibly
catastrophic, consequences.

A real dilemma.

Suppose the Greens would get 10% of the national presidential vote. I
wonder the Greens would feel good, self satisfied, if Bush and his
party win the election. Would the good Green results have been worth
it?

MKB