[Peace-discuss] for children who are wanted

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 26 10:56:07 CDT 2004

Lisa--

The US has a long history of eugenicist and natalist policies -- and it
encourages such things in the Third World now -- to prevent the birth of
"unwanted people."  Che Guevara is reported (probably apocryphally) to
have said, "It's easier to kill a guerrilla in the womb than in the
hills."

May 2 marks the 77th anniversary of the United States Supreme Court
decision on favor of eugenic sterilization for people considered
genetically unfit. The Court's decision (by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.)
included the infamous phrase, "Three generations of imbeciles are enough."
Relying on the expert testimony of one Arthur Estabrook, the court
permitted laws in 30 states under which an estimated 65,000 Americans were
sterilized without their own consent or that of a family member.  The
German practice, instituted a few years later, relied explicitly on the US
precedents.

Alexander Cockburn at Counterpunch has written on these matters, but not
too many others on the left do, so far as I can tell.  An obvious
implication is the need to demand child allowances, universal health care,
guaranteed annual incomes, etc.  Capitalist society would rather provide
for the removal of unwanteds.

Regards, Carl