[Peace-discuss] What flag does this resemble?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 26 16:56:47 CDT 2004

It's actually a remarkable symbolic admission of who the real enemy for
the US in the "Greater Middle East" is (and has always been), and of what
Israel's role is, in US eyes, vis-a-vis that enemy.

"The old flag -- red, white and black with three green stars, representing
pan-Arab nationalism -- had flown for more than 40 years, preceding
Saddam..." (Reuters). When (in 1967) Israel did a great service for the US
by checking that embodiment of Arab nationalism, Nasser of Egypt, Israel
was adopted by the US as our cop on the beat against "domestic radicalism"
in general in the ME -- i.e., any attempt to use our oil (so
inconveniently located under someone else's sand) for the purposes of the
people who lived on the sand.

And as a result of '67, Arab aspirations were displaced from secular
nationalism to religion -- encouraged by the US and its new client.
Saddam Hussein [!] added the Arabic for "God is Great" to the flag
"representing pan-Arab nationalism" during the Iran-Iraq war.

Now even the flag has been "Israelicized": that's what the neocons have
always meant by "bringing democracy to the Mideast."  --CGE