[Peace-discuss] Citizens of Empire and other remarks.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 26 21:27:40 CDT 2004

I wouldn't say that I "scoffed at Lisa's remark," Mort.  I have a few
minutes (which I usually exceed) at each AWARE meeting to talk about the
preceding week's "War on Terror"; then others add things that seem to them
important. Immediately I finished on Sunday, Lisa mentioned the "March for
Women's Lives" in Washington; I added that there had also been demos in DC
on the weekend against the IMF and WB.  Lisa then said that there had been
hundreds of thousands of people at the march she mentioned; I remarked
that I didn't think we wanted to equate truth and numbers in today's
America.

I've argued elsewhere ("Abortion and the Left,"
<www.counterpunch.org/estabrook01172003.html>) why I think abortion as
defended in Washington "is a capitalist position that the Left should be
skeptical of, on its fundamental principles."  The ethics of abortion is
not a separate and isolated issue, unconnected to what we might say of the
ethics of war, racism, poverty, capital punishment, etc. -- and it
shouldn't be considered in a different way.

Under the title of a play ("Whose Life Is It, Anyway?" -- I was once
flatteringly mistaken for its star) I posted a summary of a well-known
philosophical paper that takes up that question.  It begins by trying to
say what makes killing someone wrong -- something we do usually want to
say -- and then examining whether that characteristic applies to abortion.

I'm fascinated by the apparent need -- which you share with, among others,
my long-time radio partner, Paul Mueth -- to insist that all discussions
that find abortion unethical must necessarily be religious. We don't
really find the same need when someone asserts that war or the death
penalty is unethical, although some religious people hold those views, for
what might be called religious reasons.  And there is a "divine command
theory of ethics," found in some versions of Protestantism and
particularly Calvinism, that holds that the morality of actions is
determined entirely by divine exhortations or prohibitions in the Hebrew
and Christian foundation documents -- but this is pretty far from anything
being said in the article I quoted (or in my own article). Marquis'
argument -- like most arguments in philosophic ethics -- is entirely
"secular."

Can it be that the need to make these arguments "religious" arises from an
unwillingness to consider them?  If they can be assigned to the general
grab-bag marked religion -- long ago determined to be of no consequence --
then they don't have to be thought about.  No assertion that the arguments
are in no sense religious can be heard, and they need not be considered in
their own terms.

Regards, Carl